We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentals In Manhattan

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Rentals In Manhattan

Hey Guys

We have just booked a trip to New York and are having a bit of trouble finding the right accommodation. We will be there for 26 nights but having done some research it seems that renting an apartment for less than 30 days is illegal. Few questions

1. Will it be still illegal if we pay for a place for the 30 days but leave early

2. Can anyone recommend any good places to look for accommodation that is relatively cheap and located in Manhattan.

Thanks in advance!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

1. Yes.

2. How cheap, for what dates and for how many people?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

It's easier and better if you use a legal apartment hotel. While it may be legal to rent for more than 30 by the NYC law, most buildings still don't allow 30 day rentals so while you might not be breaking a city law, you'd probably be breaking the bylaws of the building by staying for that length of time. There are really only a handful of buildings that allow 30 rentals. Executive Plaza on 8th ave. & ~ 50th st. allows it I believe and you can try to find a place in that building. Staying in Manhattan is just not going to be cheap. It will help us help you if you provide more info.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

Thanks for the info!

Well there will be 3 of us my partner and her sister, and we will be going from the 9th Dec till the 4th Jan. We are open to looking outside of Manhattan if need be. Our budget is around $300 per night

Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

I would like to know this as well, sorry for joining in. Our budget is $400, but we are a group of 6. Staying in NYC from 21st dec to 4th jan. Is it a pipe dream?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

I would not try to book this using a regular booking program online. I'd contact

affinia.com

the Marmara

Beaconhotel.com

and ask for a price quote for your stay. I don't know what kind of sleeping arrangements you're expecting but I doubt you'll find a 2 bedroom suite for $300 at that time. Are you not planning on going to any other cities?

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

Well we where thinking to head to Chicago for a week or 2, we mainly want to try and stay in New York for christmas and new years So from 23rd Dec - 4th Jan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

@ Chris L.

It is NOT illegal to rent an apartment for 30 days and leave early. However, the issue of a rental agreement lease come into play. This type of rental is called a month to month rental. Many buildings would be happy to rent an apartment monthly and get some sort of income than to have it vacant. It is not illegal for landlord or rental company to do this in any aspect.

However, the issue you will run into; finding a place that offers monthly furnished rental and renting a place site unseen. As you do not know exactly what you will be renting. Whereas a hotel you will (most of the times).

You can however try;

http://www.furnishedquarters.com/

http://www.oakwood.com

http://www.directloft.com

Edited: 08 May 2013, 14:04
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

As Whiz said, even though legal within NYC law, it may be against the rules of the co op or condo that the apartment is located in. For example. I live in a co op. I go overseas for extended trips.(more than 30 days) I am NOT allowed to rent out my NYC home while not here. It is against the co op rules. However, overseas, if I wanted ( I don't) to rent out my apartment there--I could, no rules preventing it!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

It IS illegal to rent a place for less than 30 days and just pay for 30, unless the landlord actually holds the place open for the whole month, and a place that's doing short term rentals is unlikely to hold the place open.

Besides, the biggest issue with short term rentals isn't whether yours is technically legal or not, it's whether the whole operation will be shut down in advance of your arrival. So if you rent from a company that does illegal rentals, even if yours was for 30 days the company could still be shut down before you get there.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rentals In Manhattan

Hola.

NYC is an anomaly with questionable and debatable regulations with regard to renting apartments for periods less than 30 days. Now, we are not attorneys (and we are not aware if any of the posters on this forum are providing professional legal advice), so if the OP or others would like legal advice, we suggest that you consult a qualified attorney.

That said, it is our understanding that bed and breakfasts are allowed to accommodate visitors for more or less than 30 days. As well, folks whose leases permit “roommates” may accommodate visitors for less than 30 days under certain circumstances. Clearly, as some types of apartment rentals are allowed in NYC, blanket statements such as, “ALL VACATION RENTALS ARE ILLEGAL”, are misleading.

We continue to recommend that folks who are interested in renting apartments in NYC use a primary resource available on this forum: that is, other posters who have successfully rented clean, affordable and legal rentals.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA