We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

Hi,

My wife and I will be travelling to NY with two small kids [both are 1.5 years old] in Sept this year. This will be our first time in NY and we understand that the Central Park area seems to be the most child friendly with open parks etc. However, it also seems to be quite expensive. Could anyone suggest some child friendly hotels in this area for about $250 to 300 per night including breakfast?

Also, is there any other area besides Central Park which would be child friendly with open spaces for walks and playing? We plan to stay for about a week.

thanks

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,121 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

You will need to provide your exact dates for hotel suggestions within your budget. Hotel prices fluctuate wildly from one day to the next, and September is pricey in general.

Most NYC hotels do not include breakfast. It will be easy to pick up a quick breakfast nearby. I would drop that requirement.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

I will be travelling to NY between 10th to the 20th of Sept. If BF is not usually included, please suggest an area/ hotel which would have good options outside the hotel. Thanks for the help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

NY Fashion week, from September 5-12, then the UN General Assembly after September 17, both cause a dramatic spike in prices. Stay away from these dates, if you can.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

KateOz,

Thanks for the helpful info. Even if we cut down the time, probably we will be in NY from the 15th to 20th of Sept. Pl suggest some good hotels.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

With small children, I'd stay at an apartment style hotel so I could have breakfast in and have a little more space. With just a hotel room, I'd have to go to bed at 7-8 with the children, and I wouldn't really like that.

On the UWS, the Beacon is one option.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

..I agree with Andee110:-) Along with the Beacon Hotel, you may also want to check out The Milburn and The Newton Hotels.. all on the UWS with fridge/microwaves.. some with kitchenettes.. both close to both Central and Riverside Park with playgrounds, etc.. in a great predominently residential area with loads of local restaurants at your doorstep;-) Public transport as well practically at your doorstep.. both subway and buses! Best.. and enJOY!

Edited: 11 May 2013, 21:17
Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

My husband, son, & I have stayed at the Milfird Hitel on the Upper West side a few times. The rooms have small kitchenettes with a microwave, refrigerator, & small sink area. We've gotten a 1 bedroom apartment-type room so that we had a small living room area plus a separate bedroom.

This hotel is near several grocery stores so we purchased food & drinks to keep in the room for easy breakfasts, snacks, etc. It's also close to lots of restaurants & some subway stations. Central Park is a few blocks away, as is the Museum of Natural History. It's a family-friendly area.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

Thanks everyone. We will consider your suggested hotels. Someone informed us that Greenwich Village is a quiet area which is nice for long walks, has ample eating joints and is family friendly. Are there any good hotels in that area? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

Blakelyhotelny.com

nycsalisbury.com

radiocityapartments.com

are all suite hotels of varying levels that are near the south end of Central Park but in midtown. The upper west side is a very kid friendly area and the

Beaconhotel.com

there is an apartment hotel that's well loved. The Lucerne, the Belleclaire and the

excelsiorhotelny.com

are others in the area with family rooms. This area is filled with families with children.

Greenwich Village is lovely but there are very few hotels there; no suite hotels and the b & b's that are like suites are generally not kid friendly.

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestion for family with 2 small kids

NYWhiz, thanks a lot for your suggestions. All these hotels seem to be excellent but relatively expensive. I want your suggestion / view about Taj Pierre. I can get a corporate rate of about 450$ per night which seems good because of its location and that it is 5star. What do you say?