We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

Hi staying here in two weeks, room is paid for but does anyone know how much they hold against your CC and is it released as soon as you check out,

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

I don't know specifically about the Waldorf, but most hotels, in my experience, put a hold of about $200 on your card and then release it a couple of days after you check out. This isn't actually charged to your card so you incur no fees when they do this. The problem arises when people use prepaid cards and then that amount of money isn't available during your trip. It's better, therefore, to use a regular credit card unless you're very close to the card's limit.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

You should email the hotel directly and ask so you have the info straight from them.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

I think the time it takes to release the hold will depend at least partly on your bank.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

We were told by a friend of ours who works at the front desk that at least USD$100 per night is held against a card upon check-in, so it is possible that at least USD$1400 will be held against your card for a 2-week stay. That said, as the Waldorf nightly rates are substantially above USD$100 per night, once you complete your 2-week stay, substantially more will be billed to you.

CH

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

The OP indicated that the room was prepaid. It's highly unlikely such a large amount would be held against incidental expenses.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

...perhaps so, but "prepaid" how? on the the credit card? As the OP does not provide that information, we can only assume the minimum amount being "held" by the Waldorf, and according to the front desk that may be USD$1400. We suggest the OP call the Waldorf with regards to the terms of the "prepayment" and call his/her credit card company with regard to the terms of the release period.

CH

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

CH: I don't think you understand what a "hold" is. An amount that is "prepaid" has already been charged to the credit card, or whatever other payment method the OP used. A "hold" is a reserve for the hotel against potential additional charges that might be incurred during the stay. They're totally different things.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

Auden: We understand "prepaid". We understand "hold". Unless you have additional information that is as yet undiscovered, neither of us knows how the OP "prepaid" for the Waldorf room nor the terms of the prepayment, including the terms for the "hold".

Best regards,

Matt

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

The room was paid for by the travel agent, so any hold on cards will be for extras, I just wanted a rough idea as we have had things held before for up to a fortnight and we are going on to Mexico after this

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waldorf Astoria Credit Card

I did a quick Google and found this website which also lists the hold as $100/night (at the bottom under 'Booking Policies':

magellanvacations.com/new-york-city/…

If it's a big deal you should really contact the hotel directly and also speak to your bank about how long they are likely to take to release the hold (generally, the hotel will release it as soon as you check out and it is your bank who can take a few days to reflect this).

Edited: 13 May 2013, 10:22