We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shows @ Radio City

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Shows @ Radio City

Is the Christmas Spectacular the same as the Rockettes? Is this worth watching and are tickets hard to get? Is this targeted at all age groups?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shows @ Radio City

we went to radio city music hall to watch the rockettes christmas spectacular and it really is a brilliant show and in my opinion is a must it really is a spectacular show dont miss it

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shows @ Radio City

Yes, yes, no, yes.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shows @ Radio City

Warning: You asked for an opinion! The Rockettes, a big part of the Christmas show variety program, are a highly trained and unusual form of entertaining theater dance, Precision Dancing. It's very worthwhile if you haven't seen it.

The whole event is a remnant of vaudeville or variety shows, with a Christmas theme. There's a 3-D film, a live Nativity pageant, Santa Claus story material, with a live orchestra (alas, I think now "sweetened", which it never used to be.) I admit I haven't seen it in years-It evolves.

On the whole, I prefer one of the many full-scale Nutcracker ballets, like NYCB or ABT. Others prefer chosing among 37 performances of the Messiah (choruses from 10 to 250 singers ... ), or Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, or postmodern pastiches of ALL the aforementioned!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shows @ Radio City

Go to the Rockettes. It's very NY and quite different to ballet, which you can find easily back home in Aus. A family show, fun for everyone, even jaded non-believers.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shows @ Radio City

Thank you, so where do I get tickets online and are there usually discounts offered around like a promo code?

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shows @ Radio City

There are usually online discounts but only for certain dates and times, like a couple weeks between Thanksgiving and Xmas, and after New Years, but not during the biggest holiday crowds, Those discounts only seem to show up a few weeks before , once they see which are the busiest dates and times and which are not selling as well.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shows @ Radio City

www.radiocitychristmas.com/newyork.html

Australia
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shows @ Radio City

Thank you. Would it be better sitting at the back for this show? Is there a bad seat in the theatre?

I read elsewhere that the tickets generally go for half price closer to the date, is that true? Are these available at tkts?

Edited: 14 May 2013, 13:14
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shows @ Radio City

There are usually 2 for 1 offers in late summer. But yes, they're also available same day at TKTS booths. I like sitting at the front of the first balcony.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shows @ Radio City

It's a huge theater. Don't sit at the back, you are way too far from the action and the performers will be very small. I like sitting around a third of the way to half of the way back in the stalls/orchestra.