We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Hi all,

My partner and I are flying into JKF on the 7th of June for one week. We have accomodation booked in the Manhattan area from 8th - 15th so that is all sorted.

What we are not sure about is what to do with the first night. Our flight lands around 22:45 from the UK. So the assumption is that it will be up to around midnight before we actually get out of the airport and be on our way.

The night of the 8th - 13th we have booked an apartment to stay in around hells kitchen and its really not possible to get there the night of the 7th and check in (its though an on line apartment booking place where you rent people's apartments, not a 24/7 checkin desk).

Our thoughts were to look at hotels around the airport so we have a quick transfer and can get some sleep then head in the next morning but I really can't find any hotels anywhere near the airport that get any good reviews (most are quite frankly terrible reviews).

Perhaps we need to take a train somewhere closer but perhaps not all the way into Manhattan? Other suggestions?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Are you aware that unhosted apartment rentals for less than 30 days are generally illegal? Further, there are a LOT of scams.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

1) You've already been told that your apt. rental is most probably illegal...possibly a scam.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

2) The Hampton Inn JFK is perfectly fine as is the Courtyard JFK. But there are no hotels IN the airport so you'd have to backtrack back to the airport the following morning for transport into Manhattan.

Your options are to book a hotel in Long Island City near a subway (that will likely be cheaper than a Manhattan hotel) or to book a hotel in Manhattan. I'd recommend that you cancel your apt. and book a legal hotel for the whole trip. If you feel you need a kitchen, there are plenty of legal apartment hotels like

radiocityapartments.com

nycsalisbury.com

milburnhotel.com

or b & b's that are like apts. like

west-eleventh.com

chelsealodge.com in one of their suites

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

"its though an on line apartment booking place where you rent people's apartments"

Oh you are going to get SO scammed ...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,271 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

My main thought is not that you need a place to stay on the 7th but that you may also need a place to stay the balance of your trip. The vast majority of "vacation rentals" in NYC are illegal if you are staying less than 30 days. You can read about it by clicking the 3rd "Top Question"

However, the apartment being illegal is only part of the potentially bad news. Illegal apartments are constantly being closed down by the city--after being reported by neighbors, doormen etc. --those who want to live in a private building and not a hotel.

But still worse, there are a huge amount of scams going on re: rentals. Frequently these apartments do not exist and you get to an address and there is nothing. Your money is gone and you are essentially "homeless"

If you post the address we can at least check and figure out if t is one of the few that are legal. If you post the "landlords" name, we can see if it is one of the known crooks.

In terms of your original question--you are staying one night--makes no difference.

Edited to add: WOW 4 of us saying the same thing in a 2 minute time span!!

Edited: 14 May 2013, 16:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Hmmm, interesting. I did not know that renting for less than 30 days was illegal. Some quick searching has told me that its only illegal for the people renting the places out so its not that WE will get fined.

I used AirBnB that included a host with quite a few feedback results, all of which were very positive. The photos for the property were "AirBnB Verified" which means that AirBnB actually look the photos so the property does exist.

There are many trolls out there (like the comment "Oh you are going to get SO scammed") so won't respond to that....

Does anyone have any tips on how to verify that the place we booked is legit? Just because its illegal does not mean people don't do it all the time (drugs, speeding, downloading etc etc). Not trying to justify this but it is what it is...AirBnB seems to get away with it currently.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

You said in your other thread, you booked through AirB&B - sigh:

skift.com/2013/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Unbelievable!

So even though you knew it was illegal you went ahead anyway. Why would you do that?

No, you won't be fined but may not be allowed entry or may be evicted. Then what will you do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

i did NOT know it was illegal till after I booked it (as I said above, please read carefully)....Given all the great reviews on AirBnB and all the possible options I did not even consider it would have been illegal...

Edited: 14 May 2013, 17:20
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

I'm not a troll, I'm just tired of this go-round. Every tourist who discovers AirBNB thinks that they're the first one to be shocked, absolutely shocked, by the illegal status of most of the apartments and the level of scammage involved. I'm flip because I have heard literally hundreds of these stories, and it's tiring.

You won't be fined. And even if the apartment is what you say it is, all it takes is one dissatisfied neighbor calling and the owner will have to shut down your trip because _they_ are being fined.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late night arrival into JFK - Options for staying?

Why don't you cancel and get somewhere legal? Ask for a refund on the basis of its illegality.