We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short stay itinerary

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
short stay itinerary

Long story short: our 19-year-old son bought himself a concert ticket at the Beacon in September. I stared blankly when he told me this and asked if he had a plan of how to get up there or where to stay. Well...sort of. As he knew I had expressed an interest in seeing NYC, he thought we could all go together (although he didn't buy his father or I tickets to the concert; kids these days.) I said, "...okay, that sounds fun, your dad and I will let you stay in our hotel room, sure." And then I started looking at hotels. Ouch. So my initial plan to have three nights and four days in NYC shrank down to a single night and parts of two days.

Anyway, we'll be coming up on the train from DC into Penn Station, probably early afternoon the day of the concert. I found the Four Points by Sheraton in SoHo; for one night, right at $400 without taxes. We'll leave in the early evening the next day. We'd like to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State building, Central Park, Time Square, and...what else? My question is (finally): what is the best way to do this? Seems like getting up to Central Park the first day would make sense, given that's where the Beacon is, but is that ALL I should plan for? The concert is at 7:30. Whatever we don't see the first afternoon has to be crammed into the next day.

Thanks for any advice...this is a bit more of a project than I'd planned on.

Jersey Boys
Concerts, Theatres, Performances
Carnegie Hall
Concerts, Theatres
B.B. King Blues Club & Grill
Dinner Theatres, Bars & Clubs, Concerts, Blues Clubs & Bars
Joe's Pub
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Concerts
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short stay itinerary

" our 19-year-old son bought himself a concert ticket at the Beacon in September" so he's been before or he's bought a ticket for This September. A little confused

new york
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short stay itinerary

I would suggest you check out the hotels in Long Island City. Some of the hotels there are very well located close to the subway and are 1-2 stops away from Manhattan. You should be able to afford two nights there. The Country Inn and Suites is often mentioned here and there is a new Marriott branded hotel there. If you search Long island city hotels on this forum, you will see more options.

I prefer to stay in Manhattan (in fact, the four points soho is my go to hotel). However, when the prices are high and I'm on a budget, I stay at the four points LIC. Note that the rooms at the 4 points are pretty small for three people, which probably won't be a big deal for 1-2 nights.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 01:19
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short stay itinerary

Sorry - the concert is this coming September. At the Beacon Theater. He bought the ticket online.

:)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short stay itinerary

George,

I will check out the Long Island City hotels. I'm glad to hear the 4-points is good, however I can cancel that one if I need to. I wasn't sure how much of a problem it was to get to Manhattan from off the island.

Thanks!

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: short stay itinerary

Is this a weeknight or a weekday?

Have you looked at hotels near the Beacon on the Upper West Side? The Beacon Hotel (next door, natch) is probably too expensive, but try the Belleclaire and theres even a Comfort Inn nearby (check recent reviews on all). The Hotel Newton one subway stop north is also a fairly popular budget hotel

None of these is more than basic, but they could be fine for a one night or maybe even 2 night stay.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short stay itinerary

If you are interested, just check prices for the Beacon. If you call the hotel directly, they may offer a AAA discount. I was able to get a good price for a date in August by calling the hotel.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short stay itinerary

Most every hotel I checked in the Upper West Side was either insanely expensive or booked full (even on a weekday). I could have gotten a room (very small) at the Beacon Hotel for about the same price, which would have been very convenient for the concert, but not so much for the next day, when we have to check out of the hotel but won't be leaving the city for several hours...because we have to leave from Penn Station, I think it's easier to schlep back to the 4-Points for our bags.

Same goes for the hotels over in Long Island City...although for these much lower prices, I may put up with having to go back to get the bags.

I don't remember seeing the Belleclare or the Newton; I'll look those up.

Thanks!

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: short stay itinerary

Actually, it's really easy to get to/from the Beacon and Penn Station--2 stops , 10 minutes on the express train!

Hotels in NYC are more expensive weekdays because prices are driven by business travel, especially in the Spring and Fall

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: short stay itinerary

Millburn is another hotel--very basic.

Family members stayed at the Belleclarie and thought it was fine, but definitely check reviews on all of them-YMMV.

Save Reply
10. Re: short stay itinerary

I like the idea mentioned here about staying at the Beacon Hotel, right next to your show. You should be able to get an One Bedroom Apartment with sofabed in the living room and kitchenette within your budget depending on the night. The kitchenette will help you save money. Rent a bike to explore Central Park and visit the Roof Garden at the Met. Intrepid, Ellen's Stardust, Sony Wonder, Macy's, Rockefeller, Bowlmor , NYPL, etc are just a few ideas for family fun. Grand Central Station is an attraction on itself , allow time to check it out and look into the calendar of events celebrating 100 years. Have a great trip !