We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain Room at MOMA

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Rain Room at MOMA

www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1380

I thought it might be helpful to report on visiting the Rain Room, in the empty lot to the West of the Museum of Modern Art. Checking for previous posts here, I was found this report of the same, or a similar exhibition in London last year:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k63280…

The only entrance to the Rain Room is though a chain-link fence on West 54th Street, slightly West of the museum itself. Members only have to bring their card, but if a member has guests, they have to buy the guest tickets at the lobby Membership desk, just like you would to enter the main part of the museum. Than means that non-members should have a ticket before they get in line. They put steel crowd barriers along the fence, leading the line east on 54th Street. There's a shorter line inside the building, since they only admit ten people to the rain field at a time. This also lets your eyes adjust to the relative darkness of the interior.

I had to put earplugs in on line because there was a street crew using a 32" carbide saw to cut pavement on 54th Street!

Guests are advised to remove shiny outerwear because it can prevent the sensors from seeing that you are under a rain outlet, and thus you might get wet. I found that if you walk slowly, you indeed don't get more than a few drops on you the whole time you're in the rain field. I did not have to check my shoulder bag. Photography is encouraged, but the darkness and the glare of the single theatrical HMI Fresnel, about ten feet off the floor, makes getting a good picture difficult.

One reason they only let ten people into an area about 1/3 the size of a basketball court is that the rain leaves you an empty circle a bit more than a meter in diameter. That means that two people standing two meters apart can hold hands without getting wet.

Although I don't question for a minute that Diller and Scofidio's "Blur Building" in Switzerland was "art", I'm not so sure about this. It's a clever parlor trick, at least.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

Thanks, for the information. I'm looking forward to it. Can members skip the line to get in?

Illinois
Level Contributor
292 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

Thanks, that did look interesting! So, if you have a musuem entrance ticket and are NOT a member does that get you into the Rain Room free or is there an extra cost? thanks..

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

ETravel, I'm sorry for my sloppy composition: The Rain Room is included with daily admission to MOMA (and/or PS1, of course). There is no extra charge.

TPXB, good question. I can't answer it because I was there at 9:30am for the Members-early-hour. There were only guests-of-members and members in the line.

OT: I went to the museum before 10:30 opening, after the Rain Room at 9:30. I was not previously aware that only ONE exhibition is open to MEMBERS from 9:30-10:30. (Really, two, if you count the outdoor Rain Room.) All three of the Claes Oldenburg collections were open - the big special gallery on Floor 6, and the two self-contained Ray Gun Wing and the Mouse Museum in the Atrium on Floor 2. Nothing else was open.

I haven't been a member very long, but I sort of remember entering the permanent collection galleries last time I went to a 9:30 pre-admission hour. Could this be the "price" of 7-Days A Week opening? The same guard money distributed over 16% more days?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

No it's always been the special exhibits but at 10:30 you are in before the crowd so it feels like it is all yours

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

On July 18, the NY Times reported hot, five-hour waits for non-members and two to three hour waits for members - despite lukewarm art reviews. They did report that a non-participatory "observer" line has been created, which had a 40-minute (weekend) wait.

I learned a new acronym from the Times article, FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out. But I disagree. I go to art shows in the hope of seeing something new or good, not to check it off a list.

6. Re: Rain Room at MOMA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 07:18