We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

manchester
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Hi, I'm getting married in a couple of weeks + am looking for a great restaurant that would seat 4 + also be happy allowing a therapy dog in/ or has a pretty courtyard?

Somewhere from Union Square down to Noho would be great. Hopefully, somewhere pretty... it is my wedding day after all.

I really like the sound of ABC kitchen. But as much as by law they're supposed to let a service dog in, I'd like someplace my friend + her dog would feel welcome. I'd hate to feel awkward.

Also, anywhere that serves great veggie food/fish as well as meat. Any answers appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Service dogs are accepted everywhere. Therapy dogs are in another category so I do think you may need some place with an outdoor area.

Blue Water Grill is a seafood restaurant a block from Union Square. They have outdoor tables on a raised platform off the sidewalk in front.. Inside is very loud. Outside is nice for people watching. The food is not as good as it once was and there are mounting complaints about service. It's not where I'd pick for a wedding day but it does tick the other boxes. Look at reviews on Yelp.com and menupages.com

Pure Food & Wine has a garden area.

…villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/…

The Mussel Pot (#3 here) is another idea

…villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

PS if the weather doesn't cooperate, you have a problem.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

This is what I found on an internet search:

"A service dog is individually trained to perform tasks that mitigate the disability of his owner. Training typically takes 18-24 months. Because of his advanced training, a service dog is considered medical equipment and is permitted to accompany his disabled owner to many places where pets are not permitted.

An emotional support animal belongs to a person who is disabled. The person's doctor has determined that the presence of the animal is necessary for the disabled person's mental health and written a prescription stating the pet is necessary in the person's home, despite any "no pets" regulation of the landlord, for the person's health. Little or no training is required. The owner of an emotional support animal has no more right than any other pet owner to take their emotional support animal with them other to keep one in a home where pets are not permitted or to fly with one in a cabin when pets are not permitted.

A therapy dog is a pet that has been trained, tested, registered, and insured to accompany his owner to visit patients and residents of facilities like hospitals and nursing homes to cheer up the people living there. A well-behaved pet can typically complete training in about 8 weeks. A therapy dog is legally a pet. It is not permitted to go anywhere that pets aren't without permission from the facility owner. The objective of registration is to show facility managers that this dog is well behaved, safe around people, and insured against liability. It is not a license to walk into a hospital or nursing home without permission.

In short: service dog works to help the owner perform tasks he cannot perform on his own because of his disability, an emotional support animal works to improve the health of his owner who is disabled, and the therapy animal works with his owner to improve the health of others".

Not everything on the internet is always true of course, and you might want to research the laws further. But, assuming the above is true, then you are not going to be able to go inside any restaurant with this dog. And the health department really started cracking down last year, making it more difficult to sit with your dog even in an outside area on the sidewalk. I have a small dog and it definitely became more difficult last summer to take her to to outdoor cafes. :(

Good luck!

Edited: 20 May 2013, 12:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Agree with the explanation from Frangipani, and you have separately referred to the dog as both a service dog and a therapy dog. Which is it? If it is a true service dog, any restaurant will allow it and should make you feel welcome. To ensure you don't have issues when you get there, I would contact the restaurant in advance and advise a service dog will be with your party. They will note it on the reservation. This also makes if easier on the restaurant as they may wish to seat you at a particular table.

Union Square Cafe is very nice. ABC Kitchen is great too.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 12:32
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Hola.

We recently needed to research the “service animal” laws in a variety of (U.S.) States in order to provide guidance to a Mexican court with regard to reasonable accommodations for owners (and owners’ guests) who may reside at our condominium complex in Mexico. Apparently, in NYS Chapter 6 of the Consolidated Laws, Article 4-B, “Rights of Persons with a Disability Accompanied by Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs or Service Dogs” may have bearing here, as follows: § 47. Use of public facilities by persons with a disability, ….”1. No person shall be denied admittance to and/or the equal use of and enjoyment of any public facility solely because said person is a person with a disability and is accompanied by a guide dog, hearing dog or service dog. And for additional information, see:

animallaw.info/statutes/…s108

Further, under the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) folks are precluded from even asking the service dog owner the reason for the owner’s need. For additional information, see:

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

That said, if the OP has a disability and requires the dog to accompany (her? (him?), we recommend that the dog be registered and identified as a “service animal”. In that manner, it is easier to fly with the dog and have it admitted to any restaurant……and hotel!!

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome....and so are service animals.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Matt: I avoid Virginia because of open carry laws. I avoid Florida because of Service Animal laws. And I remember the potbellied pig service animal on American Airlines running up and down the aisle. Lawyers are paid to represent their clients, not to provide the Judgement of Solomon. The issue of what constitutes a "disability" is not addressed in your message, but I suggest that we drop this line of inquiry.

In general, pets are not permitted in most retail stores and all restaurants in New York City. Seeing Eye Dogs are not classified as "pets".

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

Hola obsoperator.

We do not presume to identify “disabilities”, that is an individual’s concern.

We do not equate “pets” with “service animals” as the latter is an ethical (and legal) need.

We do not represent ourselves as attorneys (we are not) though we have had an opportunity to provide guidance to a Mexican court with regard to reasonable accommodations for folks who need those accommodations.

You are free to "avoid" anything...this is a free country.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

8. Re: Great Union Square restaurants that accept therapy dogs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:17