We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary with Teens

Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary with Teens

Planning a trip to New York for 5 1/2 days for a family of 5 with older teens (Boys 15,17) and Girl (19). This will be our boys first trip and we are normally take adventure vacations (White water rafting etc..) so the boys are already rolling their eyes at this trip. The girl loves Broadway and is looking forward to it. We are staying in the East Village Suites (12th & Ave A).

I realize I probably need to narrow the list down. So below is what I have narrowed down as far as sites to see. Would love it if those in the know could suggest some additional don't miss items particularly for teens. Also, maybe some suggestions on what to pass on. Also, I have some additional questions that are listed next to the itinerary items in addition to the following:

Site/Neighborhood

Big Apple Greeters [Would you do this and if so What area would you have them tour us?]

Brooklyn Heights Promenade B [Train over/walk back over Bridge, maybe Pizza and Grimaldis]

Staten Island Ferry BP [Either this or the The Beast, what do you suggest]

Statue of Liberty BP [Should we just sit it from the water or is trip to the Crown worth the time]

Central Park CP [Need suggestions on itinerary and things to do like biking or carriage ride]

Tenement Museum EV

Union Square Park EV/G

Ground Zero FD [What is the best way to experience this sacred place?]

Apollo (Amateur Night Wednesday) H [This is definately optional and not sure if we would be welcomed, seems like most think it has lost its pizzazz but would go if it is alot of fun? Whatya think?]

Little Italy LI [Is it worth it given time?]

Fifth Avenue Stroll MT

Grand Central Station MT

NY Library w/ Bryant Park MT

Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks TD [Struggling with where to view them without having to waste half a day saving a spot or Spending a fortune on a cruise]

Newsies TD [Gotta do this, my kids have seen movie a thousand time]

Pippin TD [

Times Square TD

Harbor Tour (- The Beast) TD

How to be a Newyorker (Dinner and Off Broadway) TD [Good reviews but what do you think about for teens]

Peter & the Star Catcher TD

Times Square Church TD [Maybe Sunday services????]

National Comedy Theater TD/GD [Seems family friendly, what do you think?]

Metropolitan Museum of Art UES [Would this be the one or is it just too much time to appreciate given restless teens]

The Frick Collection UES

Hudson River Park Carousel & Skatepark WV [Youngest is a Skateboarder so I thought this would get him excited. What about viewing fireworks from here?)

Accomplice: The Village WV [Sounds interesting and fun but what do you think]

General Questions:

- Thinking of just loading up a single Metrocard and using as needed versus buying the 7 day unlimited. Is this the way to go?

- Would you get a NY Pass?

- Would you use a Hop on Off pass

- Seems like going to a taping like Jimmy Fallon or something similiar just takes so much time. Would you do it with my group/itinerary and if so then which one.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Level Contributor
2,501 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Hi enjoy your trip. I have been posting my trip report with Tweens and teens (mine are a little younger) but there might be tips in there somewhere. For Jimmy Fallon and others you need to be 18.

The Greeters you need to request long on advance and usually do not know till the last minute if you got one. I would get 7 day passes for everyone. It Is not too expensive. Have you looked at a Ball Game while you are in town?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Not sure what your initials mean and exact dates would be useful

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Can you split up and have one parent do theatre stuff with your daughter and the other do things with the boys. You say your boys like physical stuff but you have a lot of theatre planned. My family does this a lot ... Yankees game for hubby and son, flea market for me and daughter. It works. In my family constant togetherness isn't always good ;)

The Statten island ferry is a slow moving boat ride for commuters that gives you a distant view of the statue. The Beast is a large speed boat. I can only guess that the boys would prefer the beast.

Consider a baseball game, renting bikes or rowboats in Central Park , a visit to the USS Intrepid.

It may be too late to get Statue crown tics but the grounds have lots to see so if time is not tight, it could be worthwhile. Normally I recommend Ellis Island over Liberty Island but it is still closed due to Hurricane damage.

Happy planning!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Also I would not use a single metro card for five .... Again, what if you decide to go separate ways. I suspect the weekly pass for everybody may be most cost effective but if not, then load up 2 cards.

Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Initials are just a combination of families names? No meaning really.

Arrive July 3rd at noon at LGA.

Depart July 8th 7PM at LGA

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

If you'll be in NYC for 5 1/2 days individual weekly unlimited Metrocards for each member of your family will be both more efficient and less expensive than pay per ride cards. Five people can't use a single pay per ride card in any event. The limit is four people.

Carbonear, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

I assume the initials stand for areas of the city? i.e. BP - Battery Park? UES - Upper East Side? Took me well into the post to figure this out lol

Atlanta Ga
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

Yea they do. LOL

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

CP: There is a bike tour company that has good TA ratings:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d17…

They offer a two-hour bike tour or a two-hour walking tour that covers the locations of more than a dozen movie scenes, for your Broadway-loving daughter. Nature, including our geology and birdlife, is also discussed, as are celebrity addresses.

As for Newsies, my favorite line in the movie is, "Nevah feeeah! Brooklyn's heeeah!"

Northeast us
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Itinerary with Teens

The Statue of Liberty reopens July 4th after having been closed on and off for different reasons for much of the past 2-3 years. You may not find any availability for the time you are here.

I agree that you should have separate Metrocards as you can't use one for all of you anyway. Besides, at their ages, they can go some places on their own and you all meet up later, You all have cell phones, right?

Unlimited cards will be very handy since you plan to be all over. It's great not to have to figure out if you have enough money on a card, and to give yourself permission to take even short rides . The cards are good on buses too and there are routes all over the city, so you can hop on one for 5-6 blocks if you're hot or tired