We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

Thinking of surprising my hubby for our 20th wedding anniversary.

He(we) have always wanted to visit NYC.

The down side is we will be coming during July 4th. Probably 4 nights.

Would love to see all the sights, but sure we probably won't have enough time to do all.

One of us is in Late 40s, the other Early 50s.

Any suggestions/advise on best hotels, things to do, places to eat is greatly appreciated. Don't really have a set budget as yet. Don't want to stay in a dive, but also don't really want to spend 500 a night either.

As I said, it is 20th anniversary, so would like to make it really nice while still affordable if possible. :)

Thank you so much.

1. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 20:35
Edited: 22 May 2013, 20:35
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

I think its bad advice to recommend renting apartment given not only the number if scams but the fact that most rentals for less than 30 days are illegal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

I will respond about lodging, since I think that is more important to know before you decide on where to go and eat.

For a 20th anniversary, I think it's important to have a very good hotel room experience. It would be helpful to know how much you are willing to spend per night. You can get an excellent room for under $300/night, but are you aiming for less than that?

It may be helpful to also understand that, in general, NYC hotel rooms may be smaller than what you would get in other places, and while some hotels may be very good, they are not all quiet due to how close they are to busy streets. Just some things to consider.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

BAD advise on renting an apartment!. Short term apartment rentals are illegal in NYC. The forum is flooded with discussions and warnings on this very topic (do a search), and it's also in the Top Questions section.

The best things to do really depend on your interests. Where to stay will depend on your personal preferences as well. There are lots of fun and convenient neighborhoods in Manhattan. The 4th of July time period is actually a great time for reduced hotel rates.

Restaurants is even harder. There are thousands of excellent ones to chose from. You'll need to think about the type of cuisine, atmosphere, price point, and location you want.

I'd suggest reading the Top Questions section and perhaps sample itineraries to start to get your head around the variety of choices, and start thinking about preferences.

One piece of advise I can offer is that it's important to leave time to explore various neighborhoods on foot, Some people try to race from one "attraction" to the next and never get to soak in the vibe of any places, or make their own discoveries.

SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

Thank you all so much. Would like a nice room, doesn't have to be large as long as it's updated and clean. Use to rooms around $100-$175, but I'm sure that price point is more in NYC.

We Mostly stay in Marriott, Hilton or Embassy, because that's usually the best choices in the SE.

Would Love to have a hotdog from one of the street vendor carts. Hubby likes sushi. We both have a taste variety. Time Square Hotel's not a must, would like to have hotel with a nice view. Just wasn't sure which area was best.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

Whoops my apologies Tripadvisor members! No apt rental! Go for a hotel:) Good luck:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

For a couple who are first time visitors in the city for a few days, for a 20th year anniversary, I would not recommend a short term apartment rental, because it just isn't ideal. It's more work to find an apartment that suits your needs, and you don't have as much information about it as you would a hotel that's been reviewed hundreds or thousands of times. It could be less expensive to rent an apartment, but more of a hassle for most people.

I really don't want to open a can of worms here, but I would like to shed some more light on illegal sublet rentals in NYC. Due to the astronomical rent prices here, and the fact that a lot of people don't want to give up their rent controlled or rent stabilized apartments, many people rent their apartments for a few days or much longer. Most people doing this are not aiming to scam people, they are doing it to either help pay for their rent, or to keep an apartment they've had for years. I am not saying there are not scams, and I am not encouraging people to go this route. But, it is way more common than you think, and a lot of decent, hard working people are doing this.

SC
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

Thank you both Jamilla & Sacredphi, I'd rather not rent an apt. anyway. Prefer to be pampered at a hotel. :)

Do either of you recommend any particular area? Would like Manhatten, just assumed would cost too much.

Or is there areas between certain streets? Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I haven't done my research as of yet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

Long Island City is another option outside of Manhattan! The train from there should take you straight to midtown (times square area) in 20 mins. Like I said above, Lower Manhattan or upper west/upper east would be ideal for you:) As for your hubbys love for sushi, check out Yelp.com and look up sushi in NYC. New York yelpers are seriously harsh on places and tell the truth:) You can also check out the restaurant tab right here on NYC tripadvisor:) Feel free to ask anymore questions or concerns xx, Jamilla

Edited: 22 May 2013, 20:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Help & Must See - for 20th Wedding Anniversary

For under $175, you won't get a very good room with a nice view, in Manhattan.

Would you consider staying very close to Manhattan, in an area that offers excellent views of the Manhattan skyline? I was thinking just recently that people who live close to the river in Brooklyn or Queens get a fabulous view of Manhattan, which you CANNOT get while you are in Manhattan. I went to a wedding reception in Long Island City, Queens, and I'm sure the location was chosen partly because of the excellent view of Manhattan.

If you are set on staying in Manhattan, which I could understand, then I would say making a compromise by spending more than $175 a night, and perhaps give up the need for a view.