We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

Hi, I know this has been asked before, but I haven't found the answers clear ("uptown 4, 5, 6" means nothing to me - I'm not a New Yorker).

Can someone please explain where I need to go and which subway train to catch from Grand Central to the Brooklyn Bridge, so I can walk across. (I know most say it's better to walk across from the Brooklyn side, but I have my reasons, so please don't reignite that debate.)

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Malcolm

Mentioned in this post
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
295 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

The 4, 5 or 6 refers to the subway train you need to catch.

So you need to go to Grand Central Station and find the platform for the 4, 5 or 6 subway train in the direction of Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall (the stop you will get off at). This should be 'downtown' but a local will confirm how it's actually signed at the station.

Mentioned in this post
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,511 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

You sound very confused. The best thing I ever did was spend half an hour reading "The Idiots Guide to the Subway" which explained so many things about the subway:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

To get directions yourself google maps has a great Directions feature. Go to maps.google.com and click on Get Directions. Make sure the public transit button is On, then in the "A" box type in "Grand Central Terminal" and in the "B" box type in "Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall Station" . Click on Get Directions. It will give you the best line to take depending on the time of day you choose. It tells me the trip will take about 13 mins if I left now.

Also, Hopstop is a good app for directions as well.

You'll get used to the line numbers/letters, the most important thing to remember is whether you want to head Uptown or Downtown. This is generally north or south.

I also recommend you have a good look at the official subway map and understand the lines, where they go, etc.

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Mentioned in this post
Grand Central Terminal
Grand Central Terminal
36,667 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Zealand
Level Contributor
450 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

Thank you very much, MelbTraveller85 - that's very clear. And thanks for the tips, Aynat62.

Regards, Malcolm

Edited: 23 May 2013, 07:09
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

If you are looking at a map and north is UP, well, uptown in the same way (toward the North, and toward higher numbered streets). Downtown is the opposite (south and to lower numbered streets).

The downtown #4 and #5 trains, which are express trains, go to the Brooklyn-Bridge station, only stopping at 14th St between 42-Grand Central and Br.Br. (sometimes if there is track construction, they may run on the local track and make more stops. The #6 runs as a local and always makes all those extra stops.

Mentioned in this post
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

Find the subway station within Grand Central. Follow signs for the 4, 5 OR 6 DOWNTOWN. You can get on ANY of these....the 4, 5 or 6 subway trains, but make sure you're going DOWNTOWN. Get off at the BROOKLYN BRIDGE STOP. Exit the station. You will see the pedestrian walkway entrance to the bridge staring you in the face when you come upstairs from the station! Easy Peasy!

Mentioned in this post
5,187 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
6. Re: Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge (Manhattan side)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16