We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Hi we were meant to be arriving at 11pm on the 3rd June into Newark. Had booked accommodation that night at Element Times Square West.

We have just heard from our travel agent our connecting flight is changed to one 7 hours later and now we won't arrive at Newark unti 6am on the 4th June.

How long will it take us to get into Manhattan at that hour? We have a pre-booked transfer - thought it was easier than public transport at midnight but may not be the case in the morning, given we are travelling from NZ I am leaving the transfer in place so we don't have the stress of figuring out public transport after all that flying (or another thing to try and cancel!).

I have discussed with Element Times Square West and while initially we were going to end up forfeiting that night's accommodation, they have since kindly offered to just modify our dates for us.

efore I confirm this with them I just wanted some feedback - is it worth it being able to check in that morning at 7 or 8 am when we get to Manhatten (or will it be more like 9-10am?). It is approximately $360 + tax for that first nights accommodation. I could definitely think of other things I could spend that money on.

Ok even as I am typing this I feel that going with my gut instinct of cancelling the accommodation should be ok.

Would appreciate some advice/opinons!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

There is no right or wrong to this. It is a matter of money versus having a place to wash up and maybe shower after a long flight. Some like to feel that they are settled in their 'home" before going off for the day and others want to sightsee as soon as possible.

What time is check-In? If it is 3PM, I personally would check in and get settled--but again, that is MY opinion, you and others may disagree!

I am concerned who you made your pre-arranged transfer with. Please share. Depending upon your answer we may all urge and advise you to cancel! Also, how much is this costing?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

You will probably get stuck in traffic so will be nearer 9am till you reach your hotel. If you can sleep on a plane and believe you will be fresh enough to get out there for a days sightseeing then cancel the room. If not, then keep it. If the hotel has a gym, you may be able to freshen up and have a shower before hitting the streets. If there is an option of early check in and it is considerably less than the overnight rate then that may be a good compromise.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Thanks.

I THINK the transfer is with Dial 7. Just been looking them up and seriously considering asking the travel agent to cancel them and we will just train it! Likely to be quicker at that hour and considerably less. I think it was $60 (nz) for 2 ppl each way to the airport but just realising now I will likely get charged $16 (us) tolls plus tip for maybe unreliable and not so great service. Is that fair to say? Would you guys recommend the train after all?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

At the time you are now getting in train would be better as long as you can cope with your luggage on and off trains.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Yup think we may go with the train now at that hour - cheaper and quicker and Penn station is only 10m walk from our Hotel. We should be able to manage our luggage. More certainty too in costs as the car was going to +tolls+ tip + rush hour surcharge etc

Thinking of cancelling the accommodation for the night - we have a 9hr stop over at SFO airport and looks quite good - will probably shower while we are there even!

On the Tuesday we have the 9/11 Memorial booked for 1.30pm so its not like we would have much time at the hotel at all.

Just another quick question though - the hotel should store our luggage when we arrive at 9am until we can check in later? I have never had the experience when they wouldn't but don't just want to assume either! I will make sure I clarify that when I email them back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

A nine hour stopover at SFO? Unreasonable. Get the travel agent to put you on an earlier flight.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Thanks Kateoz for your point - it is a long stop over isn't it? We just found out about it yesterday. We booked a deal through Air NZ and have to use their partner - Virgin - so apparently the next flight isn't until 9.30pm, the earlier flight is too close to our arrival time in SFO and wouldn't be covered by insurance if we opted for that one. I thought Air NZ had other partners in the USA too but its the deal that we booked 6 months ago.

Picked up all our paper work just now - minus the transfers (although they had been with Go Prime Time Shuttle and not Dial 7.

Getting excited now!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

I think thatt it's safe to assume that any US$360.00 plus per night hotel will store your bags without charge.It looks like your trip from Newark to N.Y will be during rush hour; might not be fun with bags.What hours will you be in San Francisco? If it's during day time hours, you can take the BART train from the airport to the city. You'd be able to easily walk around to Union Square, Chinatown and other places. I can't imagine where you'd shower.

This Sunday, I will be leaving Buenos Aires for an 11 hour flight to JFK. I will then fly to Rome 11 hours later. I will arrive in Rome at 7:30 AM on Tuesday. After a layover of almost 8 hours, I will fly to Tirana, Albania. Although it sound exhausting, it really isn't too bad.

You won't need showers; you'll be on a nice plane, not running marathon. Of course, you carry tooth brushes and tiny tubes of toothpaste. Also, soap and a small towel would be a good idea.

Bon voyage

I got carried away. Don't check in early, but when you arrive at the N.Y. hotel, ask if it would be possible to check in early. If check iin is at 3:00, maybe they can relax their policy and let you have your room at 12:00 or 1:00 for extra cost. It doesn't hurt to ask.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

You do NOT want a Go Prime shuttle whoever they are. No shuttles work well in NYC. You do NOT want a 9 hr layover in SF. Scream and shout and make them fix it. If necessary, cancel the first night's room at the Element and use that to buy a different flight from SF. Ridiculous to wait 9 hrs!!!!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ? cancel first night accommodation or pay to check in early?

Agree that Air NZ should change your connecting flight. If they absolutely refuse to do so, perhaps you can get them to get you lounge access in San Francisco. It doesn't look like Air NZ has its own lounge there, but Virgin America does. The Virgin lounge doesn't appear to have showers, however.