We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Affinia Shelburne

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
JFK to Affinia Shelburne

Hi all,

So we FINALLY arrive in NYC next Monday!

We're due to land at JFK at 5pm Monday May 27th and are spending our first 7 nights at Affinia Shelburne (Lexington Ave between E 38th St and E 37th St).

After 20+ hours of travel time from Australia, we're very likely to just want to jump in a cab to get to our hotel. However on another thread, it was mentioned that being Memorial Day the traffic could be pretty bad so I want to make sure I have public transport directions correct as another option!

This is what I've figured out using the forum and Google. If someone could confirm, or correct, that would be great!!

1) Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica - we don't pay our fare until we arrive at Jamaica?

2) E train subway from Jamaica to Lexington / 53rd St

3) Connect with the downtown 6 train subway (look for the signs) to Grand Central

4) Walk down Lexington from Grand Central to our hotel

Mentioned in this post
The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection
The Lexington Hotel...
4,087 Reviews
New York City, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,234 Reviews
New York City, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

You pay for the AirTrain in Jamaica.

Your other option is to take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then get the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station. From Penn Station you could take a taxi the short way to the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

if u have luggage , cab after lirr is the best way

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

We're arriving at the affinia shelburne may 30th into jfk! I think I will also follow your transport details! Let me know if it all falls apart!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

So if we want to use public transport it's either...

Airtrain + subway + short walk (as above)

...or...

Airtrain + LIRR to Penn Station NYC + cab

I assume the subway and LIRR are very clearly marked at Jamaica?

Thanks all - I'll do my best to come back and respond to this thread about whether or not we took public transport and how it went. There's still a good chance we'll just get a cab from JFK but at least we have public transport directions sorted!

In 48hrs we'll have boarded our flight!!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

You'll have a "single seat ride" if you take a taxi from JFK, and it's a flat fare so traffic won't affect the cost. It's supposed to be a fairly rainy weekend so returning traffic from Long Island beaches may be somewhat reduced. Just be prepared to be sitting in traffic for awhile and then be pleasantly surprised if you're not.

If you take the AirTrain and then either the Long Island Rail Road or the subway you won't have this issue. Actually you'll be able to see the traffic from the AirTrain monorail, but by then you'll have made your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
texas
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

We stayed at the Shelburne about 2 years ago. We absolutely loved it for our first trip to NYC. I hope you have as great a time as we did. The room was spotless, we had the one with 2 queens and a smallish area with micro. mini fridge,and coffee maker. The housekeeper was great. First night I asked for extra coffee and she left extra every day for 4 days we were there. It was just a great hotel and such an easy walk from Grand central to the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

We stayed at Shelburne last year and loved the area and hotel. We took taxi from JFK - too eas....y bags in then enjoy the ride. Public transport might be cheaper but you'll be carrying luggage on and off and walking and taxi cost around $55-$60 with tip from memory and after a long flight it was way less hassle for us weary travellers.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

Thanks again all!

We have budgeted the $70 for a taxi and will make the call on transport when we arrive.

In 14hrs we'll be on our way, then almost 24hrs after that we'll be there! Finally!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

I like to take the JFK AirTrain to the Long Island Rail Road because after I've been seated for a long time on the flight, I like to stretch my legs and get the blood flowing again.

The transfer between the JFK AirTrain and the Long Island Rail Road really couldn't be easier. You see the Long Island Rail Road trains from the JFK AirTrain. It is very easy.

You can walk from Penn Station or simply get a taxi across.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
10. Re: JFK to Affinia Shelburne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17