We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Hi,

I had planned a full day for Day 1 until looking at our flights and realized we arrive at 5pm from LA.

We are staying at The Salisbury in Midtown Manhattan 123 W 57th St. Is it best to catch a cab to the hotel?

Also is there a good restaurant close by for dinner that night? I believe there is an Italian restaurant a few doors down that my dad reckons was the best Italian he'd ever eaten!!!! Not sure of the name, but any suggestions for other choices are welcome!!!

Hopefully we will have checked in by 6pm and was then hoping to walk down Fifth Avenue and go to TOTR, the Cathedral and also Grand Central Station in the evening. Don't want to waste any time!!!! Then have a late dinner....is this doable????

I know there is a subway station near our hotel, but can't work out what it is called. Does anyone know?

Looking forward to your responses....I will have a few questions to ask over the next few days because although I have planned our itinerary there always seems to be questions to ask and you ar all sooooo helpful :)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Subway near your hotel is 57th Street, on the N, R, Q or a little further down the street, 57th Street on the F line.

Depending on how long you are staying, definitely pick up a Metrocard for the subway/bus on your first day.

Landing at 5 and checking in at 6 is "aggressive." But I would def try to do as much as you can on your first night.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Sounds like we might have the same flight as you, getting into NYC at 5pm from Melbourne.

We're staying at the Affinia Shelburne and have only planned dinner + ESB for that night. We are very aware that we may not be up for anything other than dinner and bed in the end, so we have decided to keep our arrival night pretty low key to avoid feeling like we've wasted time if we don't 'do' anything.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

My only concern is that St Patrick'ss closes to site seeing at 7 or 8 and I too think that landing at 5 and expecting to check in at 6 is a bit ambitious. and if you are arriving on a weekday it will be nearly impossible. at that time of day you can even get slowed down walking!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

We are arriving from LA and so won't be jet lagged. If we were coming from Melbourne it would be a whole different story!!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Def get out and explore the area and do as much as possible.

But as stated, getting to the hotel by 6 is "aggressive."

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

We arrive on a Sunday, but even if it is later than that I think a stroll down Fifth Ave to even just view the Cathedral and a look in at Grand Central Station will be fun. The kids will be keen to start exploring ASAP....To do TOTR will give them the 'wow this place is awesome feeling' before going to bed and being excited about the next day...

Edited: 25 May 2013, 14:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
562 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Thank you @ter1413 for your response about the subway. I take it N, Q and R are all different lines and then I just have to workout which one will take me where...What does the F line do or where does it take you?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

you need to get a subway map - have a look at www.mta.info

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

also read this:-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4244193…

Its Brilliant!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving in NYC at 5pm - What to do?

Correct. The N, Q, R and F are all different lines. The N,Q, R do run through several of the same stations.

F can take you from Coney Island to Queens.

Here is a subway map:

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html