We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Scottsdale AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Driving in from upstate on the 4th of July, dropping off rental car. Stayed in NYC a few times in the past and was given a suggestion for Hoboken. Hotel res at the W Hoboken, corner suite facing Manhattan. Staying 4 nights. Should be a nice fireworks show from that area, maybe from our room.

Plan on visiting close family in Manhattan 1 day. Little Italy and a few other NYC sites as well. A couple of fine dining nights out also in the city and spending a couple of days/nights in Hoboken.

Sound like a plan?

Any must do restaurants in Hoboken?

Thank you,

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Not sure but they may have moved the fire works display back to East River side?

Hoboken nice but it's really a day trip from NYC.

Not much to do compared to NYC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Looks like most of the suff u want to o is in manhattan, u might as well stay in ny n save the commute

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

I've only been to Hoboken a few times but it's a cute small-town America kind of place if you want to experience that. It's a short ride on the PATH train to midtown or downtown, not a day trip (lots of people commute from there). There is nice early 20th-century commercial architecture, an historic train/ferry station, lots of restaurants along Washington Street, and great views of Manhattan. There was some damage from Hurricane Sandy but I haven't been there since then.

There is a walking tour that I want to do (someday!) and some info on their museum's web site

http://www.hobokenmuseum.org/

Let us know if your fireworks plan works out.

Scottsdale AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Thank you Battery park, I thought I had read on here and other places it was a short/easy commute to the city.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

It's a short commute into the Financial District of Lower Manhattan or to midtown. Just walk the few blocks to the Hoboken PATH station. For the lower Manhattan Financial District take the PATH train to the World Trade Center. If you're going to lower Manhattan on evenings and weekends you'd need to take a Journal Square train to Grove Street and change there for a World Trade Center train.

If you want to go to midtown (or the West Village or Chelsea) you'd take a 33rd Street train. Returning from midtown is slightly different during the day as opposed to later in the evening or on weekends. On weekdays you'd need to make sure you were getting on a Hoboken train and not a Journal Square train. Late night or weekends all trains will go to both Hoboken and Journal Square so just take the first train. Both Hoboken and Journal Square should be shown as destinations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Hoboken is NOT a day trip from NYC. Its 15 min. on the PATH train!!!! There's a bit of NJ prejudice here on TA. Hoboken ihas some "old-timers", but is very popular with young professionals (many from Wall St or publishing field) who work in NYC and can't afford NYC ridiculous rent. Wiley Publishers has their headquarters righty across from the street from the river. Its a mix of small old town and upscale young professional.

It's just the other side of the Hudson, and with great views! Day and especially night. Check out Frank SInatra Park (FS was born in Hoboken). Also great views from Steven's Institute Campus, across from W14St in NYC.

MAny restaurants which are mid-scale, mostly on Washington St., the main drag. Grimaldi Pizza (good but not great IMO) has a branch; Zagats has high ratings for Amanda's, Napoli Brick Oven Pizza, and Cucharama. I used to love the now gone, iconic Clam Broth House.

http://www.cucharamama.com/2/

http://amandasrestaurant.com

Enjoy Hoboken. Of course its not Manhattan, but it is so close and quite interesting. Discovered by the Dutch in 1609, It also has a unique history:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoboken,_New_Jersey

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KzxT7c5Ops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2Jy8tukbE

nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/07/poll_says_ne…

andrewprokos.com/photos/…

nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/05/hoboken_phot…

travelpod.com/hotel/W_Hoboken_Hotel-Hoboken.…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3FtZxbvoHQ

(oh there is also a ferry to Manhattan as well as PATH)

Also walking tours:

hobokenmuseum.org/self-guided-walking-tours/…

hobokenmuseum.org/self-guided-walking-tours/…

ELi Manning lives in Hoboken, could it be that bad?

Scottsdale AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Great links and information. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

Midon, now you've started something. Here's an article from today's NY Times about all the cool restaurants in Jersey City and Hoboken. Soon it will look like Times Square so get there ASAP.

nytimes.com/2013/…

Who knew?

Please report back!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoboken/NYC Itinerary

We've got a cruise planned next year and I've already got my W Hoboken reservation made for our one night post-cruise - got a great rate on Starwood points again :) It's a 14 night cruise so really couldn't justify a stay in Manhattan :(

What I'm going to do is make up my own walking tour combining the one from the Historical Museum, places mentioned in the Sinatra Tour, and some of the food places mentioned in the Mangia Hoboken tour.

I've enjoyed our stays in Weehawken (once on the 4th of July - fabulous), and I had no idea that Weehawken and Hoboken were right next to each other (sort of ashamed by that :)

Weehawken we never left the waterfront area but Hoboken seems like there is more substance to it and a more interesting place to walk around.

I can't wait to explore the rest of those links!