We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what else I can see in New York ?

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what else I can see in New York ?

I booked with Road Scholar.org and for the 7 days I'll be seeing Ellis Island, Rockefeller Center Statue of Liberty,Radio City,Music Hall, Metropol. Museum of Art. We'll be staying at "The New Yorker Hotel", which has a good review here. When I called to exstand 2 or 3 more nights, they quoted me $ 500 a night. After a brief talk, she told no lower than $ 395. I know NJ is expensive.

Now I need to know what else can I see in 2 or 3 more days ? I'm not the youngest and reading about the walking distance of 2-5 miles a day, it would be a lot for me and not sure if I can handle this. I'm more interested in popular sites and not to miss Ground Zero. What else can you recommend ? I would drop some of the sites above if it means not to miss this and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I also don't know what to do with transportation problem. I heard the Taxi rites are more expensive. Of course I need a good map etc.

Please advise me where can I stay, close enough to reach the sights faster and easier. I know, I know, I'm asking for a miracle.:)

I also like to add a trip to the Caribbean from New York. That would be a miracle to reach an island non stop. This oppertunity (spg.?) would never happened again.

I've read here that it could take 10 years to see all of NJ.

I appreciate your always kind help. Well, do I needed ! ! !

Yes, Road Scholar used to be Elder Hostel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,814 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

Do you mean NY or NJ? I am guessing NY. As a first timer I enjoyed these things in addition to what you already have on your list:

Walking around Brooklyn Heights

Walking Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan

Tenement Museum

Empire State Building (for the nostalgia and the view straight down Lower Manhattan)

Times Square at night (for a while anyway, you have to see it once)

Staten Island ferry (doesn't get real close to SOL but you get a great view of Lower Manhattan from the ferry)

Central Park: Strawberry Fields and Dakota Building just outside CP, Belvedere Castle, the Boathouse, Bethesda Fountain, and just walking in the serene park and seeing the tall buildings all around

Going to a Broadway show or two

Note, Ground Zero is not called that anymore. If you want to visit the area you will need to get tickets to the 911 Memorial, available online.

And depending on when you will be in NYC note that Ellis Island may still be closed for repairs

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

On the right column of this page is a column titled top questions. The 4th one down is a list of must sees/does. Compare that to what you'll be seeing on your tour. Tell us what other things interest you (ie another museum? Theater? Opera? A walking tour of a specific area? A food tasting tour?)

For acccommodation help, we need the dates you'll be here and an ideal budget. Soundns like you're here at a pricey time.

Everyone gets around using the subway. But if you're not able to do stairs, buses are the better option. Safe and easy a nd all the buses are equipped for wheelchairs so dip down for ease of getting on and off.

As for the Caribbean, again I'll ask when this is. If Sept/Oct. that's hurricane season in the Caribbean. I also think you should consider how long you're comfortable being away from home. If this is the first trip you've taken in a while, you might find at the end of 10 days, you're ready to go home.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

You will have a great time during your trip -- I have done tours for and on two occasions been the group leader for Road Scholar weeks. The programs are always great but as NYWhiz already asked, it helps to know when you will be here in order to recommend other stuff!

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

NY
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

you might want to look at a Caribbean cruise. There are several that leave from NYC. check out NCL and carnival. they tend to be quite reasonable at the time of year you are talking about. yeah it might be hurricane season, but these things are as unpredictable as you would expect. 2 years ago we cut short a Caribbean vacation to race home and meet a hurricane in NY.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

Regarding walking... it's all a question of pacing (and sensible shoes).

I recommend that in addition to a subway map you get a BUS map. (Available free at any attended subway booth or possibly at your hotel)

With an unlimited Metrocard you can ride the subways and buses as much as you want. If your feet start getting weary, just hop on a bus - they aren't as fast as the subway - but you can enjoy seeing the city out the windows and if something interests you just get off. Even if you just ride a few blocks it can save you from going back to the hotel to soak your feet.

Also (depending on the weather) there are many sidewalk cafes where you can enjoy a beverage and snack and people watching while you rest your feet a bit.

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

thank you, thank you. Of course I meant NY. I almost want to type NJ again, ha.

O.K. I'll be there from 6 - 11 of October but like to stay 2 or 3 days longer. I know the question is asked a lot . . . .what is my interest. . . . N e w Y o r k ! Of course I would like to see a show. My neighbor said to take the Hop on and Hop off bus and where you can see more than taking the subway. I would be afraid to take the wrong subway and getting lost into a bad area. I'm alone and wish I could share this with someone.

If it's not called Ground Zero, what is it called then ? I've to see that and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. I read you need 10 years to see NY. LOL I know, when I come home I'll be aware that I've missed a lot. It's O.K. I just like to get a taste of NY.

At this moment I'm not sure if I want to include a Caribbean vacation because my dog would miss me and I'm her but it's so close to the Caribbean from NY than from CA, and I've not forgotten the trouble I went through when American Airline had a computer glitch and that was, I believe one day after the Boston Tragedy. Thousands of people got stranded.

Thanks for all your suggestions and links. Great advice ! !

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

I forgot something to say or to ask. To me this is important. Since I don't have that much time but it's essential to know how to go which place first and from there to the next. See, when you live there you can figure out which place to go first etc. That is the reason why I think that maybe the Hop an and Hop off Bus is the best. If you've seen this place already you get off and continue till the next station.

Does this makes sense ? Even if you've a map, you still don't know how to get from this place to the next place. Makes sense ? It's best to get a map also.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

Subways are always the fast mode of transportation

Buses run extremly slow, Sometimes you can walk faster than them

New York City
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

There are 2 Famous museums of Art

The Metropolian Museum of Art and

The Museum of Modern Art

Plus many smaller ones as well Like the Frick Collection

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what else I can see in New York ?

The Cloisters is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and is in Northern Manhattan. It is worth a visit.