We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

appropriate footwear!

Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
appropriate footwear!

Everyone says you needy make sure to wear comfortable shoes for the amount of walking you do in the city, would something like this be appropriate? Anyone ever worn crocs like this and know how comfortable they are? Thanks!

crocs.co.uk/crocs-kadee/11215,en_GB,pd.html…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: appropriate footwear!

Yes that is fine

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: appropriate footwear!

IMHO, those don't look comfortable or attractive.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: appropriate footwear!

If you are going in hot weather, wear good support cross trainers and socks. Skip the blisters. In cold weather, boots. For dinner or shows change into whatever you feel is fashionable. Don't worry about criticism from others. They are far too worried about how they look to worry about you! Have fun and be totally comfortable.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: appropriate footwear!

I'm with Andee, I think they will get uncomfortable after awhile. Bottom line--you should not be bringing new shoes or shoes of a style that you never wore before just because they "look' comfortable. You also need more than one pair. Personally, I walk all day in sports sandals--but that is me.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: appropriate footwear!

I wouldn't think that those would be a good choice, but feet vary; perhaps the Crocs will be good for you. In general, however, I think mambaboo has the right idea. If you don't want to wear trainers, look into shoes made for walking/hiking (e.g., Rockports, Merrills, Clarks, etc., or the equivalent).

Whatever shoes you're going to use (or think you're going to use), get them well in advance of your trip and wear them before you travel, especially on days when you'll be doing a lot of walking. How do your feet feel after walking a mile or two (or three) in them? If you're not in pain or getting blisters, you have a good candidate.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: appropriate footwear!

Merrell do a ballet pump in their barefoot range: merrell.com/US/…30595W

I find them really comfy as they still have the Vibram sole, like in their barefoot trainers (sneakers).

Belfast
Level Contributor
528 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: appropriate footwear!

I've never worn this type but my experience of crocs is that they make your feet sweat a lot. Great for holidays near pools and beaches but I wouldn't want to walk around a hot city in them all day. Never had a problem with blisters though.

I found Skechers a good choice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,694 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: appropriate footwear!

I second that the Crocs would be too sweaty, aren't they rubber? Skechers are a good choice imo. I bought a pair last trip because my feet got sore and the Skechers were great.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: appropriate footwear!

I find that brands like Anhu, Jambu, and J-41 make comfortable, sporty shoes that are good for walking in warm weather. An example:

www.zappos.com/ahnu-crissy-dark-gray…

Also brands such as Merrill, Clarks, and Bjorn.

For something a bit less sporty looking, the brand Orthoheel makes comfortable shoes with great arch support. Another example:

zappos.com/…

I can walk for hours in their shoes without my flat feet aching.

As others have said, the most important thing is for you to break them in before hand, for you to know that the pair of shoes is comfortable!

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: appropriate footwear!

I have those specific Crocs, and I like them and I bought them because they looked cute on someone else. My foot is wide, though, so while on me they are comfortable to walk around in to start, they begin to bother me after about an hour. I wear them mostly around the house and to walk to the pool.

When I was touring Ireland, I had shoes similar to those that frangipani suggested, and they were great. I would splurge for something a little more substantial than the Crocs. Something like this: sarenza.co.uk/skechers-mambo-22108-s332-p000…