We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice needed please

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel advice needed please

I am currently planning my 5th trip to NY, four of the five stays have been at the Affinia Manhattan. I like this hotel as I have always found the staff to be friendly, the hotel clean and safe, rooms a decent size and I find the location ideal for my needs.

However this year one friend is wanting to stay somewhere different - ie cheaper, but I'm a little worried that although we may save a few pounds/dollars the hotel may not be that great and I'll then be wishing we had just gone back to the Affinia!! Also for the third person who is coming with us this will be her first trip to NY and you don't want your first experience of NY to be tainted by staying in a bad hotel!

So this is where I need some advice please!! My friend has been looking at The New Yorker and Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South. We are looking at booking our flights and hotel together, The New Yorker is averaging about the same price as AM (therefore might as well stay at AM!) but Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South is coming up around £70 cheaper ($106) for the whole trip so my one friend is leaning towards this, but the rooms look tiny and for 3 people in one room I think we will struggle.

So for three people in one room do you think these hotels will give us enough space? Can you recommend a better hotel within the area? Any really good/bad points you have on the hotels? I've taken a look at the hotel reviews but I know there are some fantastic posters on this forum who have such knowledge of the city and hotels that I am realy hoping you can give me some guidance, as I know if I book another hotel without asking for your advice first I will be doubting my decision until I get there and possibly whilst there too!

We are looking to travel anywhere between 1st December to 7th December 2013 for 4 nights. We know that there are no direct flights where we are coming from on 4th Dec or 6th Dec.

Thanks in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice needed please

Have you looked at the Affinia Dumont? It's on 34th St but over at Lexington Ave. I am staying at AM the week before you are going. I have stayed there before it was renovated. Looking forward to it. AM is great for easy access to Macy's at Thanksgiving and rooms are spacious for larger party. Affinia Dumont gets good reviews and is often slightly cheaper.

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice needed please

I haven't looked much at the others, but I will check out AD as I assume the hotels in the chain will all have a similar standard. That's another reason why I like AM, for it's closeness to Macy's and girls love to shop so need lots of room!!

The rooms are nice since they have been renovated. We were very ucky last year as we got a free upgrade to a huge, two bedroom suite. Don't think that would happen to us again lol.

Thanks for replying and enjoy your trip.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice needed please

We have stayed at the affinia 50 as well, which was not quite as nice and we are at the Affinia Dumont for first time in July for a few nights. The Eastgate Tower is affiliated to Affinia group. Was there 2011. Rooms needed updating but liked the service at the hotel. I like the Affinia group.

Prices for your dates will be higher as its in to December. We saw very good prices downtown for our dates but just not as convenient for our groups needs. We don't normally book a package but we have booked through BA this time as a package.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 23:36
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice needed please

Our last couple of trips have been in December so we are all used to the prices and to be fair they are averaging around the same price as last year, but of course if people think there is a deal to be had elsewhere! I don't mind a good deal if I know that the hotel isn't going to disappoint!

I'll definitely check out AD though later and will have a look at the rest in the group too just to compare.

We're finding a package is the cheapest option as we want a direct flight. The direct flight times for us are really good too so that's one thing we all agree on not being changed!

Edited: 31 May 2013, 07:34
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,347 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice needed please

1) You've picked one of the most expensive weeks of the year to visit. If you wait til the following week or better still, the week after, you'll do much better price wise.

2) If you're looking at rooms with 2 beds, most NYC hotel rooms with 2 beds have doubles (like your queens) while the Affinia Manhattan and a handful of others have 2 queens (like your kings). Both the other hotels you mention have doubles, not queens. For 2 adults to share a double bed, it's the equivalent width as a baby's crib (cot).

The New Yorker is a popular tourist class hotel but doesn't come close to being as nice as the Aff. Manhattan. The Doubletree is your basic chain hotel, further west than Penn station.

Have a look at photos on

oyster.com

The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and the Hampton Inn Times Square North both have rooms with 2 queens and are further north, in the area where there's more choice in restaurants that I think is nicer but likely more expensive.. If you'd rather stay in the Macy's area, the Eventi and the newish Springhill Suites both have rooms with 2 queen beds but they're also likely to be more expensive, not less.

I think if you're going to try a new hotel, try a new area as well. Looking on Dec. 3-7, the Beacon hotel which is similar to the Affinia Manahttan in that it's a suite hotel in an older building that's been renovated is much less expensive and you can get a 1 bedroom suite for less than you'd pay for a studio at the Aff. Man. It's likely not included in an air/hotel pkg. though.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Hilton Garden Inn Times...
7,636 Reviews
New York City, NY
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice needed please

Thank you nywhiz for the advice.

I was hoping we could come a little later in December, however we are restrcited by one of our group, who wants to be back in time for her work Christmas party , I did say I think NY is much more an exciting place to be but hey ho!!

I will take a look at the hotels you have suggested and will also see if I can sway my group on the dates, if I can't least I have some other hotel suggestions to put forward to them.

Many thanks again.

7. Re: Hotel advice needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:16