We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick 2 day June trip

Kernersville, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Quick 2 day June trip

We are taking the Amtrack from DC to Penn station in June for a quick NYC visit. We arrive at 8:30 AM on a Tuesday and leave the city Wednesday at 5:30pm. I'm traveling with my 73 yr old mom( who is in great shape by the way), and 3 teen-aged kids. The must sees are 9/11 memorial, brooklyn bridge( maybe a walk over the bridge),Empire State Bldg, Today show, Staten Island ferry to get close to the Statue of Liberty--it's still closed, Times Square, Chinatown. I would love to get down to Little Italy area to eat and visit as well. Is this feasible? Which areas should I group together to avoid any backtracking? Any other suggestions? We are staying at The skyline hotel. Is that walkable from Penn Station? Any inexpensive food choices for breakfast near the hotel? Thanks so much!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick 2 day June trip

If you put all the things on your list on

Maps.google.com

You could answer most of your own questions. Skyline imo is too far to walk with luggage. I'd get a taxi although 5 of you with luggage may not fit in one cab.

The Staten Island ferry does not get close to the SOL. A paid cruise will get you much closer and there are about 6 options

Nywatertaxi.com

Does both a SOL express and a hop on/ off option that might work well for you.

Circle Line has a few options and the

Statuecruises.com

Also would work. You might check

Goldstar.com

For discounts before deciding.

If you spend one day doing the downtown things and the other doing the midtown things, you should manage. Top of the Rock is preferred to ESB. Chinatown and Little Italy are one and the same thing. Rubirosa in Little Italy is the place to go or pizza and pasta. Lombardi"s is another option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick 2 day June trip

i know people want to do as much as possible when traveling, but with 1.5 days, i think it would be best picking 3 things to do, since u have to include, lunch dinner, breakfast time.

otherwise it becomes a rush lets go to next are and take a picture trip.

3. Re: Quick 2 day June trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:17