We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Leeds
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Hi all

After much dithering and checking prices I've finally booked flights to NYC. We are arriving into EWR on the 26 October and staying for 5 nights, departing on the 31 October.

I've checked out a lot of hotels but I'm struggling to find one within budget of $275 to $300 that has good reviews, location wise im not too fussed as long as its in the city and close to public transport. Usual tourist areas such as midtown, upper/lower east west sides etc but anywhere is fine.

I have looked at the following hotels but appart from the Affinity nothing really appeals.

Yotel

Affinity 50

The Pod

Salisbury

Stanford

Can you recommend any other hotels or let me know if any of the above are worthwhile saying in? Is a budget of $275 to $300 realistic?

Provisional itinerary is as follows but is only a guide.

Day 1 - Arrive 19:30 into EWR, transfer to hotel then food somewhere.

Day 2 - Early start, TOTR, central park, shopping (Macys, Bloomingdales) Katz deli or similar for lunch, Museums in the afternoon TBC, dinner

Day 3 - Early start, 911 Memorial, wall street followed by a boat trip to see Lady Liberty but not confirmed and will research further, times square and or theatre show evening followed by food somewhere

Day 4 - Another early start followed by Brooklyn Bridge walk, grand central station, maybe pizza or a good steak for dinner

Day 5 - TBC, if weather is bad the previous days we'll change the itinerary and use this day to do the things we missed.

Day 6 - Early flight back to the UK but will have an early breakfast somewhere nice

Thanks so much

Rosie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

hotel with $300 a night budget is realistic, use google map and ck location and subway stops, i usually pick 4 star hotels and bid 50% on priceline.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Actually, you have picked an expensive time to visit and $300 won't go far. Many people visit for Halloween and the NY Marathon is the Sunday after you leave, so many people are visiting for that.

Use www.quikbook.com to compare rates.

Day 2: Katz deli is nowhere near the other things on your list. You may want to move it to after the Brooklyn Bridge walk. You could perhaps fit Grand Central into day 2 given it seems to be your midtown day.

Www.broadwaybox.com is a good site for discount theater tickets.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

I would do Katz Deli for lunch on a day 3 or 4...

The stuff you have listed on day 2 is uptown, (assuming by museums you are thinking of the Met, Guggenhiem, MOMA, etc.), and there is no reason to waste time running up then back when you will be nearer by on another day.

Leeds
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Thanks for the help.

Will adjust days 2 & 3 to fit in better, thanks for pointing this out :-)

Made a bid on priceline at approx 50%, just waiting to hear if its accepted - thanks for the tip Linatoday

147 days to go and lots of research to do

Thanks

Rosie

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

We stayed at the Skyline Hotel in Hell's Kitchen last summer. Couldn't fault it for the price. Have a look via hotelscombined for general price info. I booked direct at there website. Really great at responding to emails. Whilst you are "researching" ...we applied for, and were fortunate enough to be allocated, a Big Apple Greeter. We were taken around Brooklyn and it was wonderful to connect with a local. Hope this helps a little.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Anxious to hear how your Priceline bid went, I've never tried that!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

I have stayed at The Pod and it suited my need perfectly, though I was travelling on my own ans was generally out of the room from first thing in the morning to late at night, only returning to drop off shopping etc. The rooms are small, hence the name, but are well designed and I found because it was layed out well I didn't have space issues. I also found the location good, I spent time up town and downtown (and surrounding areas) and found it really easy to get around on the subway from there.

Depends on what you are looking for in a hotel room.

Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Have a look at Candlewood Suites, they have great reviews on TA and within your budget

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

it's probably way too early to score on priceline for October, have a cancelable hotel as back up and try closer to date

I'd do Lady of Liberty first thing in the morning and schedule the 9/11 memorial later. It's quite impressive in the dark as well. You must reserve a slot in advance, did you know?

For affordable hotels, check the Country Inn &Suites in LIC

Edited: 05 June 2013, 07:24
Quanzhou, China
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights booked, advice on hotels would be lovely

Is it possilbe to travel with my pet?