We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itinerary help (2 days)

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need itinerary help (2 days)

Hi everyone! I am planning to be in NY city for two days: June 15th and 16th (Sat and Sun) with my parents who are first-timers. They are more interested in the iconic stuff so that is what we will do I guess.

Our must-do list:

- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (I might just see them from afar since they are closed now. Is Liberty Park the best place to do this? Not sure if I have time for the ferry ride)

- Times Square

- Empire state building- Not planning to go up the elevator

- Brooklyn Bridge

- Central Park (at least a couple of areas)

- WTC memorial

- Grand Central Terminal if possible

I guess those are the key places. Any suggestions on itineraries?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,573 Reviews
New York City, NY
NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need itinerary help (2 days)

The SOL is not open until July 4, so your best option is a cruise. We did a Classic Harbour Line cruise, but there are also Circle Line cruises, or the Staten Island ferry. It will depend on how long you want to cruise, what time of the day, and the cost. I have heard the sunset cruises are nice.

Remember to pre book tickets for the 9/11 memorial. The lines there are long, but they move quickly. You could combine this with walking the Brooklyn Bridge before or after.

Top of the Rock would be a good option for first time visitors. And you could see Grand Central and the Empire State Building before heading up to Central Park.

What are you planning for the evenings? Times Square is best seen at night - the lights are amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,573 Reviews
New York City, NY
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need itinerary help (2 days)

Thanks!

Is there any order in which these things would be done most efficiently? Agree that Times Square is best seen after dusk.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need itinerary help (2 days)

For efficiency, you don't want to keep going back and forth, uptown and downtown.

One day should be dedicated to everything that is uptown:

- Empire state building -> walk or take a train up to Grand Central Terminal -> easily can walk to Rockefeller Center (not on your list, but this is essential for NYC) -> walk to Central Park -> take a train down to Times Square at night

Second day should be for everything downtown:

WTC memorial- > walk to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island -> take a train to Brooklyn Bridge

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,573 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need itinerary help (2 days)

Also, if you have a smartphone, or extra time, use Hopstop.com for figuring out subway travel.

5. Re: Need itinerary help (2 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:18