We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Hi everyone,

My mum's best friend and her husband (late 60s) are planning their first trip to New York.

They are on a strict budget, and the travel agent has recommended the Broadway Hotel and Hostel on W106th St.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, or if there is a better alternative in that budget price range. It looks very average to me....!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Broadway Hotel and Hostel
1,227 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d643970-…

What's their budget?

Edited: 04 June 2013, 02:24
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

I'm in that age bracket and no way no how would I want to stay there. If I was 20 years old it might work but I'm sure there's got to be a nicer alternative.

When are they coming (exact dates) and what configuration of bed do they want? Double, queen, or king? What's their budget? You'll get some good suggestions if this information is provided.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Sorry, based on this and another hotel choice they have made, I would say around $250 a night.

This looks horrible to me...

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Rassi, I agree! I really think they will regret it. They are a couple in their late 60s, and would be looking for a double. They would be wanting to spend around $250 a night. Any advice would be much appreciated. The are staying in New York for a couple of days at the Skyline Hotel, then on a bus tour, then back to New York to stay at the Broadway. My feeling is that the Skyline would be a better option, but neither look great in my opinion.

What is the area like around w106th? We never walked that far.

Mentioned in this post
Skyline Hotel
Skyline Hotel
2,640 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Last I looked, this was an illegal hotel. You know better to ask for options without dates. $250/night in August will give them lots of options. In Sept. very few.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

That area is fine, however its fairly remote from the major sities in the city

Columbia University and St Johns the Devine are nearby as is the northern end of Central Park

Mentioned in this post
Columbia University
Columbia University
501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,082 Reviews
New York City, NY
NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Sorry NYWhiz, today was one of those days, and obviously my brain is not working! :)

Dates: 22-26 August and 16-20 September.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

Hey AngieNSW:-) FWIW, the property is not located on 106th Street.. which by the way is also known as Duke Ellington Boulevard since he lived around the corner at Riverside Drive for a long time;-) It's on Broadway and 101st Street with it's entrance just off Broadway heading towards West End Avenue! As far as I know this has always been an SRO but haven't researched it for certainty! Regardless, I would not suggest this place for them.. am sure you'll get lots of recs for other properties in budget range! The area is indeed a good one.. mostly residential.. both Central and Riverside Parks along with loads of cafes, restaurants, shops, etc.. a nice local nabe with convenient transport options via subway and buses!

Along with Columbia U and The Cathedral of St John the Divine, you've got Strauss Park, Grant's Tomb and FIremen's Memorial in Riverside Park as well as Humphrey Bogart's Place on 103rd Street off Broadway towards West End Avenue where he lived for a while;-) Best.. and enJoy!

Mentioned in this post
Riverside Drive
Riverside Drive
21 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,182 Reviews
New York City, NY
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Riverside Park
Riverside Park
416 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

In the same area (Upper West Side), I have stayed once at the Days Inn Hotel on Broadway/94th St, and am staying there again later this month. It's somewhat dated, but supurb location, clean, quiet, and relatively cheap.

For their August 22-26 dates, they can get a queen room there for only $153 a night, $717 total with taxes. It goes up a lot for September as that's a much busier time of year to $263/$1222. I have actually gotten both of my stays there via Priceline NYOP for much cheaper but there's no certainty to that.

Mentioned in this post
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
793 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to Broadway Hotel, W106th St

They really need to get a better travel agent.

For the August time period, the Hotel Newton has a number of good options. The double with private bath, refrig and microwave starts at $190. They also have slightly larger and nicer queen room options for a bit more, but still below budget. http://www.thehotelnewton.com/ Note that some rooms have shared baths, so look carefully at the room descriptions to ensure that you are choosing one with a private bath.

Having the fridge and microwave is nice and can save a bit of money. Don't be shy about asking for a container to take your uneaten portions of restaurant meals (portions are often huge). That's VERY common here, though I understand it's considered a bit crass in other parts of the world.

The Upper West Side is a great area to stay. Very convenient and a pleasant residential area.

The September dates are typically MUCH more pricey, but the Hotel Newton is reasonable for those dates as well and still within your overall budget. Book early for the September dates. It's a hugely popular time for NYC travel and I believe the U.N. General Assembly will be convening about that time and consuming a huge number of hotel rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Newton
Hotel Newton
1,615 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
793 Reviews
New York City, NY