We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metrocard advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
metrocard advice

Ok , I have done some research on this but any info would be great. I have calculated that we will be making at least 15 subway journeys during our stay so the unlimited MetroCard seems like the cheaper option (staying in LIC, visiting malls, Staten island port etc).I will also be using the air train to get into and hopefully out of the city but this journey isn't included on the unlimited card right? So I was planning on loading on some dollar value to my card as well. My total cost for 4 days travel will work out at $40 if so, or is there a better/cheaper way?

Also, is subway travel from 23rd street/Ely av to Jamaica and on to jfk safe at 3am? I will be with my partner, not alone :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: metrocard advice

Get 2 weekly unlimited for $30 and then add $$. You are doing it correctly.

Subway should be safe at that time. Just be alert. Stay in the middle cars as it can be empty at that time.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: metrocard advice

What malls are you planning to visit?

The subway is safe, but not very frequent at that time of night. What time is your flight? I'd probably take a car service.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: metrocard advice

I agree on taking a car service. There is lots of track work that goes on overnight and even if you read the postings, odds are you wouldn't understand it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: metrocard advice

Or u could take the lire from penn station to Jamaica statio n AirTran from there

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: metrocard advice

The E train is very safe. Schedules can be found here.

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tecur.pdf

The 23rd St. Court Square station is a good station and you can see what times the trains are scheduled to depart. Always allow a couple extra minutes to get to the platform.

The unlimited ride MetroCard is excellent. You'll use transport far more than you think you will.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: metrocard advice

If you have internet access and/or iphone or ipad - check out hopstop.com or the hopstop app. If you enter in your departure address/location and destination, it will tell you the transportation/walking options, estimated travel time, and even accounts for detours/track work/delays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: metrocard advice

Thanks guys,

That's really helpful, will download the hopstop app and do a bit more research as my flight leaves at 7:20am.

@brooklynbridge, so far I have decided on queens centre as I need to buy my mum a Yankee candle and I have a lot of hot topic vouchers, but open to suggestions!

8. Re: metrocard advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:16