We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Met or Moma

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
58 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Met or Moma

Hi, we'll be traveling to NYC for the first time and we want to visit at least 1 museum. Which would you recommend for a 1st timer MET or MoMA? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Met or Moma

depends what you like.....there is quite a lot of 20th century art at the Met if that's your cup of tea..so if you're looking for that then the MET will cater for what you're looking for. The MoMA is art from 1861...and much of it is more recent.

The Met is huge but with lots of variety, the MoMA is specific and is really amazing. But I love art....

Another factor is how much time you're prepared to allocate to your Museum trip. The MoMA won't take as long and is in midtown and the Met is on the Upper East Side and right at Central Park

Hope this is helpful (And either will be wonderful so you don't need to think about it too much!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Met or Moma

Hands down MOMA. It's great.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Met or Moma

Depends on what you like

If there is only time for one, Id vote for the Met. The Mummies , the Egyptian Stuff and the Chinese Garden are really nce

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Met or Moma

The Met is an encyclopedic museum of world art, so you'd be able to see a little of everything there, including 20th and 21st century art. They have stellar impressionism, Rembrandt, Asian, Egyptian, and nearly anything else you care to name, including decorative arts and furniture.

MOMA is modern, from post-impressionism to today, so if that's primarily your thing, go there. You'll see Van Gogh's Starry Night and Picasso's Demoiselles there...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Met or Moma

I would choose the Met over MoMA every day and twice on Sunday, but if you're mostly interested in Modern Art, then MoMA might be better for you. The Met has modern art too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Met or Moma

The MET BY A MILE, you could be there all day and still not see everything.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Met or Moma

Take a few minutes, look at both websites and decide what is best for you. Personally, I would say MET--but this type of thing isn't a matter of which museum gets the most "votes" on TA, it is what you will enjoy best.

http://www.metmuseum.org/

http://www.moma.org/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Met or Moma

Another consideration...if you prefer modern architecture then the MOMA, if you prefer more grand traditional architecture then the Met...both museums are wonderful in their own right, why don`t you check out their websites to help you choose. Enjoy which ever you decide on!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Met or Moma

I am not a museum person but was VERY impressed by the Met

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
58 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Met or Moma

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful. Think I will go to the Met first then visit Moma if our schedule permits : )