We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

Iasi, Romania
14 posts
Save Topic
best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

Hi, I will travel to NYC the first week of July and I please someone to tell me what would be the best hour(s) of a (supposed) sunny day, for taking photos of me with the Staue of Liberty and with the Manhattan skyline. Thanks in advance.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

"Her Majesty" faces east toward the rising sun and we have gotten our best views in the AM on the Staten Island ferry...a FREE ride, paid for by NYC tax dollars :-))). ENJOY.

CH

Iasi, Romania
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

Thanks,CasaHoffa. I use to take photos WITH ME and the touristic target,using a tripod + self-timer programming of the camera,so I need at least 3-4 meters in front of camera and relative stability. It is very difficult to find both space and stability on a ship (usually crowded,in summer), that is why landing on the Liberty Island is a necessity. I am aware that the best photos are taken before noon,but I want to book a ticket for a visit there and it would be useful to know if an early tour (to avoid crowd) is good enough for photos,or I should prefer a later tour (10 or 11 a.m.),for better photos. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

It can get very busy on Liberty Isalnd , so I would go on the earliest boat to be able to have the most room to be able to set up your equipment

Iasi, Romania
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

Thanks,ree-nyc.

It seems that the first thing that matters is the space for taking photos with a tripod,not the sunlight,because of the too many people there in July,especially after a break of 9 months in visiting the statue. An useful tip,from local touristic sites,is to be on the spot 2 hours before the time of departure,for security checking and for timed visits:"arrive at the ferry 2 hours prior to your tour to ensure timely arrival". I wonder if I have to be at the ferry at 6 a.m.,if I book a ticket for the first tour,at 8 a.m. I'll be thinking about,before booking a ticket.

Another opinion would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

5. Re: best hour of the day for photos at the statue of liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:17