We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronics shopping

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Electronics shopping

Hi , heading to New York soon and I was wondering can anyone tell me the best places to buy electronics like i-Pods, cameras etc... in New York City. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronics shopping

there are 2 main places

B&H near Penn Street Station, Superstore is located on the West Side of Manhattan at 420 9th Avenue between 33rd and 34th streets. Jewish owned and run so closes early on Friday and all day Saturday.

J&R opposite City Hall near Ground Zero. You can get discount vouchers in tourist books.

I went in both and preferred B&H

Both have web sites

www.jr.com

www.bhphotovideo.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronics shopping

B & H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Be advised that they are closed Friday night & Saturday in observance of the Jewish Sabbath.

J & R Music:

www.jr.com

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MAKE ELECTRONIC PURCHASES IN THE TIMES SQUARE AREA!!!!!

The Apple Store -

2 locations - one in SOHO, and the brand new 24 hour location on 5th Avenue @59th Street.

www.apple.com/retail/soho/ -

www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronics shopping

Listen to NYCGirl!! Don't buy any electornics in any small store in Time Square or any other electronic store in a tourist area. If they also sell souvenirs, t-shirts, etc - that's a bad sign.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,470 posts
2,109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronics shopping

Local Experts.

I would b grateful if you could give reasons why we should not purchase in the Time Square area.

Apart from the fact that there are no fixed prices which entails haggling.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronics shopping

They are bait-and-switch places, meaning that they'll tell you they've run out of what you want and try to sell you someting more expensive. Also, the products might be used but they don't tell you that. They also can't give you legit waranties, even though they say they can. Since they're not "authorized dealers" of many products, you can't write to the product company when something goes wrong or you need a part.

If you want to try them anyway, go right ahead and test your haggling skills and savviness. Just don't say we didn't warn you.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,470 posts
2,109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronics shopping

Thank you for that.

On my last visit to New York. I was looking for an Ipod. I was unsure of the stores at Times square.

I purchased the Ipod at Newark airport.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electronics shopping

I was in B&H last Friday morning and I found it to be really busy, but after going into several similar shops, this was far the best.

It depends what you are looking for, some things like digital cameras where not that cheap compared to here, but there was some good camcorders for around $200.

I'm not sure if there are any issues with compatibility with these types of items when you return to Europe due the different voltages and warranties.

It is definitley worth a visit.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Electronics shopping

B&H hands down!

Honest, knowledgeable, great service.

I just purchased a Nikon SB-600 flash unit by phone.

Ordered on Wednesday - receive at my office on Thursday, can't complain about that.

Give them a try - check their website, they are Hasidic Jews and sometimes their holidays fall mid-week - they have a holiday schedule on their site, check it out!

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electronics shopping

For cameras & other photographic accessories/suppllies, I've always liked Adorama, 42 W. 18th Street, better than B&H; in my experience, it's less zoo-y (although either one is best avoided on Sundays) and their prices are as good as B&H, if not sometimes better. And although Adorama's clientele seems to be largely professional/expert photographers -- which I am not -- the staff I've encountered there has been more helpful/friendlier, less brusque than at B&H.

As for iPods, you should feel free to buy one from any reputable retailer; a few models may be sold for a very few dollars less than full retail, but because Apple keeps a tight rein on its retailers & the iPods are so popular, the list price is the going price. So you can save yourself some time & shoe leather by not bothering to shop around for that item :-)

One additional comment: before plunking down additional money for an "extended warranty" on these kind of purchases, take the time to read the fine print. The ones typically offered by especially the "box" retailers don't originate with the manufacturer, but rather a 3rd party & usually aren't worth much more than the paper they're written because they don't cover ordinary wear-and-tear or accidental breakage.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electronics shopping

Try Adorama for camera.We picked up a memory card and received great discounts and service.Can't remember the exact address,but it's around the 5th Ave area.