We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Moe Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Hi All

My wife and I will be in NY for the first time, arriving Feb 28, departing March 08 2014. The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, located at 790 Eight Ave, has been suggested to us by family members as a good place to stay. The pricing for the above period, is averaging out at about $345.00 per night, including taxes etc, which is higher than I expected.

Are we better off waiting until we get closer to the above date before booking, and hope that the price will drop, or can someone suggest another good hotel in that area which is cheaper.

Your suggestions/comments would be much appreciated.

Regards: Grey Haired Nomad

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

It's very early to be booking accomodation , most of the rates you will be seeing are the rack rates , no discounts , I would be waiting till closer to the date and look around for sales , we got a good sale rate for prepayment in early Jan for March travel . If you do want to book anything now , I would make sure it is fully refundable.

Also Times Square is not central or "close to everything " , unless you are planning to see alot of shows I would not be staying there, as long as you are near a subway stop you can get to everywhere in New York, so have a look around at some hotels in other areas more closer to your budget and liking

Edited: 07 June 2013, 11:49
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

That sounds very high! And while the HGI Ts is a very good hotel, it's certainly not the newest, nicest or best in the city. You can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square for ~$200/night plus tax or as low as $165 night plus tax if you prepay on a bunch of websites. (I'm looking on kayak.com)

I think there's nothing wrong with booking something that's cancelable now or if you see a great deal (like the Doubletree above) and you like it and are willing to prepay, sure. But for $300+/night in Feb/March you should be able to get a swank 4* hotel.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Dear Grey Haired Nomad,

What I might encourage you to do is consider making a reservation that is fully flexible (meaning that you can cancel it at any time) so that, should something better come along, you are not locked in to your hotel.

Now I have some good promotional rates at a few properties in the NYC area that I think, hands down, will beat the HGI both in terms of the pricing and the actual hotel itself. All of these rates are fully flexible, so you can cancel them at any time. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Courtyard by Marriott Midtown East - $123.17 per night

Marriott East Side - $147.11

The Manhattan at Times Square - $153.36

Renaissance Hotel 57 - $163.49

Grand Hyatt New York - $166.56

The Lexington, A Marriott Autograph Hotel - $167.97

Doubletree Metropolitan by Hilton - $179.17

Affinia Manhattan - $181.97

Millenium Broadway - $168.15

Marriott Marquis - $269.77

Crowne Plaza Times Square - $204.37

One UN New York - $172.12

Hilton Times Square - $233.91

Waldorf=Astoria New York - $271.35

Mela - $237.25

Element by Westin at Times Square (including breakfast buffet) - $173.44

Courtyard Times Square, South - $210.49

The Carlton on Madison Avenue - $218.42

The Westin New York Grand Central - $221.07

Westin New York Times Square - $242.24

W Times Square - $263.41

The New York Palace - $343.86

Tribeca Grand Hotel (including free continental breakfast) - $199.90

Candlewood Suites Times Square - $156.46

Hampton Inn Manhattan / Madison Square (including free continental breakfast) - $180.80

Hampton Inn Manhattan / Chelsea (including free continental breakfast) - $180.80

Holiday Inn Express Times Square (including free continental breakfast) - $180.80

St. Giles the Court - $181.06

Mondrain Soho - $184.03

Doubletree Times Square South - $189.31

Courtyard Fifth Avenue - $199.90

Wyndham Midtown 45 - $206.26

W New York - $206.26

Royalton Hotel - $210.49

Roger New York - $210.49

Soho Grand Hotel (including free continental breakfast) - $210.49

W New York Downtown - $211.81

Residence Inn Times Square (including free breakfast) - $221.07

Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park - $229.31

Affinia Fifty - $230.25

Sheraton New York Times Square - $231.66

The Benjamin Hotel - $240.51

Fairfield Inn Manhattan/Times Square (including free continental breakfast) - $242.24

Hyatt 48 Lex (A STUDIO SUITE) - $242.24

Le Parker Meridien - $253.36

Kitano - $259.18

Renaissance New York Times Square - $269.77

Ink48 (including free breakfast for 2) - $271.34

70 Park Avenue (including free breakfast for 2) - $271.35

Michaelangelo - $281.01

JW Marriott Essex House New York - $290.94

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Frankly, I think $200/night for a one bedtoom suite at the Doubletree Suites trumps all of those, but...if you sidnt want to stay in Times Square, the Courtyard Midtown East for $123 is a very good deal.

Moe Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Hi All

Thank you all for your responses. The Doubletree Guest Suites Time Square looks good.

ree-nyc, can you suggest accommodation that is " closer to everything" which is not going to cost us an arm and a leg.

We are both seasoned walkers, hence walking is not a great issue, although I understand that in early March we can expect some cold and rainy weather.

Your responses would be much appreciated.

Regards

Greyhaired Nomad

Moe Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

Hi All

Thank you all for your responses. The Doubletree Guest Suites Time Square looks good.

ree-nyc, can you suggest accommodation that is " closer to everything" which is not going to cost us an arm and a leg.

We are both seasoned walkers, hence walking is not a great issue, although I understand that in early March we can expect some cold and rainy weather.

Your responses would be much appreciated.

Regards

Greyhaired Nomad

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

There are a number of places on arlingtonman's list that are not in Times Square:

Mondrian Soho

Soho Grand

Affinia 50

and lots more. I think rees point was you don't need to stay in TS and I agree. But seeing that price for the Doubletree Suites for a 1 bedroom suite (nice for a longer stay) was worth mentioning I thought. A lot of people like to stay on the upper west side, a more residential area with easy access to midtown for more touristy things. It makes you feel more like you live here.

Beaconhotel.com

is the nicest there and also happens to be a suite hotel where you could get a 1 bedroom suite. But their website is not accepting reservations that far away. If you like the looks of it, you could phone or email them for rates and availability.

8. Re: Accommodation: Book now or Wait for Feb/March 2014 Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:16