We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

Has anyone recently taken the Circle Line ferry from New Jersey to the SOL/Ellis Island? Does it really take 2 hours to go through security on a week day? We were planning to go on Tuesday, 6/20 and the website offers two pre-booked ticket options -- 10:45 & 1:45. We are heading South after this, so NJ seemed a better option vs. NYC since we are staying in the NY suburbs vs the City. Any comments???

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,375 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

Comments on what? What makes you think it takes 2 hrs to get through security? Where are you staying? Are there more times/options offered for departure from NYC?

Mentioned in this post
NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

can't answer about the security lines

but Liberty State Park is very convenient to get to by car

exit 14B NJ Turnpike

Mentioned in this post
Liberty State Park
Liberty State Park
1,201 Reviews
Jersey City, NJ
Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

I read about the two hour process here on TA. Also, the website confirmation from Circle Line says "arrive at the departure point approximately two hours in advance to allow time for ferry boarding as well as to clear National Park Service security for visitors taking Monument tours". We are staying in White Plains then driving to Virginia after our visit to the SOL/EI, so NJ seemed more convenient since we need to get on the NJ turnpike anyway. Also, the NYC options were 8:45/10:45/1:45.

Mentioned in this post
White Plains
White Plains
Westchester County, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

I can only tell you by all accounts the BEST time to go is first thing in the morning. 8:45 is the first boat. Since that's available from NYC, that would be my pick. I think the wait will be shorter and you'll have started 2 hrs earlier. OR, see if you can get 8:45 from the NJ side.

If you can't get 8:45 from NJ, I wonder if you could park the car in NJ and take a regular ferry over to Manhattan to catch the SOL ferry in NYC. I don't know how far the Liberte ferry is from the SOL Liberty Park ferry.

nywaterway.com/ferry/…

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

Hi,

We were just there yesterday - a beautiful day to be out on the water.

We departed from Battery Park and we didn't wait at all. We took the 3pm departure and boarded immediately. We saw people in line when we went to go pu our tickets at will call. In the couple of minutes that we got our tixs and walked to the boading line, all the people got on-board -- we did too! :)

We were the last batch of folks who boarded and we were able to get to the top section of the ferry and enjoy the view and take pixs. People were sitting on the benches, but once the boat got on the water - everyone got up and started taking pictures.

I did notice that the New Jersey ferry didn't have as many people as the one from Battery Park.

Also, there were a lot of people on the Battery Park lauch, but I think the ferry can take more people. The security line didn't take long to go through at all. Yes, it's like the airport security.

Hope this helps everyone who has any questions or concerns.

Maybe I'll put this as a new post so it's easy to get to and read.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,227 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

actually the "ferry" that you want to use is run by a different company

libertylandingmarina.com/watertaxi/index.php

hopefully you will be able to buy a ticket for the 8:45am ferry from NJ

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

According to the Circle Line website, the earliest ferry to Ellis Island is at 8:30 am and then it heads to Liberty Island:

circlelinedowntown.com/statueFerryLibertyPar…

What I have done with visitors is take the NJ ferry from the NJ side and skip the Ellis Island stop and head direclty to Liberty Island. When I'm done with Liberty Island, I'd actually take the NY ferry that goes to Ellis Island. Once I'm done with Ellis Island, then I'd take NJ ferry to Liberty Island and not get off until I reach Liberty State Park in NJ.

As for security, it's really not that bad. 2 hours is only a guideline. It's just like going through security at the airport. NJ does not get as many tourists, so it's actually pretty nice not dealing with the crowds. Besides, there is affordable parking available on the NJ side right behind the railroad terminal at Liberty State Park compared to more expensive parking garages in Lower Manhattan.

Once you're done, you can head out of Liberty State Park pass the Liberty Science Center on your right onto the NJ Turnpike to head south.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,375 Reviews
New York City, NY
Liberty State Park
Liberty State Park
1,201 Reviews
Jersey City, NJ
Lower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan
973 Reviews
New York City, NY
Liberty Science Center
Liberty Science Center
644 Reviews
Jersey City, NJ
Virginia
Level Contributor
198 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

I was just there 2 days ago-we waited about half hour to get thru security. The line moved at a pretty constant pace (we were at Liberty Island about 9am). Don't take large bags or you'll have to get a locker & keep in mind they make take you take off belts & watches at every security checkpoint (I got tired of taking everything on/off).

Honestly I was terribly bored at Ellis Island & would have gladly skipped it if the others in my groupl would have agreed.

Mentioned in this post
Ellis Island
Ellis Island
6,375 Reviews
New York City, NY
Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
430 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Statute of Liberty/Ellis Island

We were on the 9:45 ferry last Tues. June 13 and it took about 10 mins. to get through security. It wasn't a big deal at all.