We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penn station

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Penn station

We are travelling fro Penn station to Washington by Amtrak, can anyone advise me on how easy it will be to find the platform that we need? Is it all well signposted in he station?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penn station

I did this on Monday. It's very easy. Just follow the Amtrak signs inside the station to the Amtrak area, then watch the departure boards for your platform.

There are plenty of people to ask for help if you need to.

There's also a Red Cap service which we used for help with our luggage (2 large suitcases) and early boarding. If you're travelling with luggage and use this service, just remember to tip.

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penn station

Thankyou.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penn station

Basically, there is a big electronic board listing departures. You watch the board, and ten minutes or so before departure, a platform number comes up. You will have probably read that there is a mad dash to get to the train at this point. If you have luggage, I would recommend hiring a red cap. They will get you to the train a little earlier, and assist with your luggage. Remember to tip generously.

We caught the train to Lancaster County from Penn last October. I was a little apprehensive after all I had read, but it was fine. No problems at all.

Have a wonderful trip!

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penn station

Thankyou.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Penn station

Near the ticketing/concourse waiting area there will be an arrivals/departures display with train info on it (similar to what you will see for gate info. in an airport) it will display a track number for the platform you need and there will be announcements. Direction signage is pretty good, platform numbers are sometimes not assigned until closer to departure time.

station map: http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penn station

Thankyou. Does any one know if you get assigned seats, or is it just a free for all?

Dublin
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penn station

We travelled from Penn to Richmond on Mon .. We went to Redcap area as this was adv on TA and told them what train we were on... However when our train was called, no a redcap in sight!!!! Lucky the escalator was just outside the area we were sitting and we managed to get down pretty quick to platform and get a seat for the 4 of us together as there is no reserved seating.... Good journey, we took Subway rolls with us..

Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penn station

No assigned seats. Your ticket is for a seat, not a particular seat.

That's why the Red Cap service is doubly good....they take you and your luggage before the masses are released onto the platform and as a result you have the pick of the train so to speak. Avoids the dash down the escalators and along the platform in busy times.

Cambs
Level Contributor
180 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penn station

I was wondering, are the trains double decker?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penn station

^^

Nope..