We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark airport to East Village...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Newark airport to East Village...

What is easiest way to get from EWR to Washington Square Hotel around 1:30pm on a Friday? Thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark airport to East Village...

Are you going to the Washington Square Hotel on Waverly Place? That is definitely NOT in the East Village. In any event, your hotel is very near to the 9th Street PATH Station.

Assuming you want to use public transportation you have a number of choices. How many are you? What I'd do is to take a local taxi to Newark Penn Station and then get a PATH train. (You can also take the AirTrain from the airport to the rail station and get a NJ Transit train to Newark Penn Station, but I'd spring for the short taxi ride.)

At Newark Penn Station (and emphasize that you're going to Newark Penn Station and not New York Penn Station) you'd get a PATH train going to the World Trade Center. Newark Penn Station will be the first stop and PATH trains from there will only be going to the WTC. Get off at Journal Square and do a cross platform change (no additional fare) for a 33rd Street train.

Take that to 9th Street and walk a couple of blocks south on 6th Avenue (aka Avenue of the Americas) to Waverly Place. Turn left and the hotel will be on the first block.

There are many other options, but that's how I'd do it. You will have to walk up to street level at 9th Street. There are no escalators or elevators. The PATH fare will be $2.25 per person. This can be paid with a pay per ride Metrocard but not with an unlimited Metrocard.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark airport to East Village...

I live very close to the Washington Square Hotel.

The fastest and easiest way to do this is simply to take the NJ Transit train from Newark Airport station (accessed via the AirTrain between the terminals and the train station) to New York Penn Station.

The ticket is $12.50 per person each way.

At Penn Station, you get the downtown A, C, or E train to West 4th Street. Exit toward the back of the train. You'll emerge at Waverly Place and 6th Avenue. You simply make a U turn when you reach the street level, cross Sixth Avenue and the hotel is on your left as you proceed down Waverly Place.

You are staying in the absolute best location in New York City. Greenwich Village is wonderful. Nearby on Eighth Street are two of the most charming and most delightful wine bars in New York City. Amelie is a wine bar on 8th Street between Fifth Avenue and MacDougal, just around the corner from the Washington Square Hotel. I absolutely love Eighth Street Wine Cellar. 28 West Eighth Street is the address for 8th St. Wine Cellar. www.8thstwinecellar.com/ You will not find a more charming place anywhere in the world.

Also on Eighth Street is Insomnia Cookies. So wrong but so good.

Mario Batali's Otto Enoteca is located on Eighth Street just across Fifth Avenue - wow, what a gem. www.ottopizzeria.com

Olio e Piu on the west side of Sixth Avenue where 8th St. becomes Greenwich Avenue as you stroll west is very good. olionyc.com/

The diner at 8th Street and Waverly Place is very good too.

Caffe Dante on MacDougal is excellent for dessert. www.caffe-dante.com/‎ Cash only.

Bar Pitti is awesome but also cash only No reservations. No website. No credit cards. Very popular. 268 6th Avenue (just south of Bleecker Street) - (212) 982-3300.

You really have the ultimate location in New York City - in the heart of Greenwich Village and everything fun and exciting - very cool.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark airport to East Village...

Thanks so much for your great post!! You knew exactly what I like best! Wine and dessert!! Haha! :) Any more tips for shopping with 17 yr. old daughter?? :) thanks again!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark airport to East Village...

Century 21 is easy to get to. The great thing about that hotel is that it is literally around the corner or just a few steps from the West 4th Street subway station (the north entrance / exit is at Sixth Avenue and Waverly Place). On the upper level you have the 8th Avenue local and express trains. On the lower level you have the 6th Avenue local and express trains.

The downtown trains on the upper level take you to Century 21 via the Chambers Street station (local and express trains stop at Chambers Street)

Amorino is an amazing place for the most incredible gelato - it is located on 10th St. and University Place near the hotel. I was so surprised to pull out my Delta in-flight magazine earlier in the week and flip to a big picture of Amorino on 10th St. and University Place. It was a story about a famous person's favorite places - and there was a big picture of Amorino.

On a nice mild evening, there is nothing nicer than going into Grom (also great gelato) and sitting outside in Father Demo Square. This is at Carmine Street and Bleecker Street in the heart of the most charming part of Greenwich Village.

You are also a very short walk from the heart of SoHo - shoppers paradise.

West Broadway and Spring St. / West Broadway and Prince Street - you radiate out from these intersections and you'll find shopping until you drop.

5. Re: Newark airport to East Village...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:16