We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best part of town to stay?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Best part of town to stay?

Hello everybody,

Quick question: I've abandoned the idea of staying in a hotel (too expensive for a simple "neutral" room). I'm thinking of going for AirB&B. Still pretty expensive but at least your can have an entire studio or one bedroom with kitchen for less then one simple bed in a hotel.

So, my question is: where to stay? I was thinking of Upper East Side, but I don't know... What about the other side of Central Park? Midtown? Chelsea?

We'll be staying 2-3 days and want to discover "everything" mostly by walking...

Thanks!!! :))

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best part of town to stay?

First of all, " everything" is not walking distance from any one location. The things that tourists are interested in are all over Manhattan. ( and then you could go to Brooklyn or Queens for more) I am not familiar with the B & B you mention, but be aware many are not legal.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best part of town to stay?

He's talking about renting an apartment from AirBNB which was declared illegal in NYC a couple weeks ago. OP, please see the Top Question to the right "Vacation Apartment Rentals Violate NYC Laws."

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best part of town to stay?

I'm well-aware of the fact that Manhattan is so huge (been there twice but on short-term visit). However, I'm expecting to walk the entire day, that's why we are there right? Discover by walking what is enough close and eventually taking metro for some far parts of the town.

I have already used AirBnB for a trip to L.A. and it was a smooth-sailing but I do agree that some of them are not legal and I have to be careful...

By the way, I thought that Queens is a no-tourist borough? For safety I mean... like Bronx? Am-I mistaking here?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best part of town to stay?

I've just read the topic about AirBnB and it's illegal part in NYC. I've heard of it, but didn't pay much attention. So, basically it is illegal for owners to rent their studios/homes on short-term basis? However, there are plenty of them listed on AirBnB... The question remains whether I should go for it or not...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best part of town to stay?

So basically you're willing to do something illegal? A quick forum or Google search will give you plenty of info why you should not.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best part of town to stay?

No, I was just wondering that the person who will have a problem with legal-issues is the host, not the guest right? If the host rent illegally it's property, he'll have to pay the fine not the guest that actually rented. It's maybe bad reasoning but logical, don't you think?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best part of town to stay?

I have never heard of this AirBnB thing, but we were considering using VRBO for our trip in September, does this mean that that type of arrangement would be illegal too?

And while we're on the topic of best place to stay; we have never been to NY before, would like to go to the outlets, see a show, do an NFL game, eat at some yummy food trucks/restaurants and are flying into LGA. We are celebrating our 1st anniversary, are young and healthy so don't mind walking but would like to be close enough to be convenient to a train station. Suggestions?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best part of town to stay?

Yes.

You will get more anwers to your second paragraoh if you start a new thread,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best part of town to stay?

Apartments are illegal if rented for less than 30 days. BOTH the host and the guest are breaking the law if you go ahead with it, and there are a number of things that could happen such as eviction whilst staying, getting there and the illegal rental is closed down and you've nowhere to stay, not as advertised... that last one is so common.

Get a legal hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best part of town to stay?

Wow this is very surprising but I'm glad I read this before we booked one! What a shame, there are so many more affordable options on VRBO, and a TON of listings. Thanks for the heads up!