We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

We'll be coming in on I95 from Connecticut one Monday morning in our rental car, and want to spend the day in the city before spending the night in Newark NJ in an airport hotel for an early flight the next day. Trying to decide the best way to work it:

- don't think it's sensible to take the car right into the city

- it'll take too long to drop the car back at the airport first

- obviously don't want our luggage with us in the city

So I'm thinking of maybe driving to a train station and parking there, taking the train into the city and back out again after, then driving on to Newark airport via the George Washington bridge. Maybe New Rochelle or Tremont stations? Or maybe Tarrytown (and then the Tappan Zee bridge)? Which of these stations would be best? Or is there a different better plan?

PnP

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

I would drive right into the city, find a garage where you can park and lock, convenient to what you are coming in to see/and or a subway/ and just leave it there for the day. www.bestparking.com can help you find the right place.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Another option, with safe, secure parking is drive to The NY waterway Ferry Terminal/Port Imperial,in Weehawken, NJ and take the Ferry into NYC/Manhattan, you will then save time on the end of your trip as you will be much closer to Newark Airport.

http://www.nywaterway.com/

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

It depends on exactly what time you are taking the train into the city. It also depends on what time you will be crossing the Hudson River (i.e. to get to the EWR (Newark Airport) hotel. You have to balance road traffic, parking lots that have filled up with commuters, and transit costs. (At least the toll and train prices are the same throughout the business day.

Secaucus Junction has cheaper parking on weekends, and tends to fill up on weekdays. I would also consider Meadowlands (bus) Park and Ride and North Bergen (bus) Park and Ride, which has many more busses. For sightseeing reasons, you could park in Jersey City and take the 8-minute ferry to the financial district. Many posters here like the Lincoln Harbor ferry, which has lots of parking spaces. But both Lincoln Harbor and North Bergen can be challenging to get to for out-of-town drivers. North Bergen is $9.50 for the driver (RT and Parking), and $6 for each additional passenger's RT bus tickets.

I'm not pressing the idea, but if your hotel has a shuttle to a PATH station (??), you could lock up your bags at the hotel and go into the city from the hotel, maybe? Because the Newark Airport rail is NOT a "single-seat" to Manhattan, I won't recommend that.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,338 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Agree with Warmwinds, with only one day, you will waste a lot of time getting to/from your car if you park it north of the city.

Avoid the Cross Bronx, as GWB bridge traffic can cause terrible backups.

Buckner (278) to the Triboro/RFK bridge (toll) OR Willis Ave Bridge (no toll) then into Manhattan

Head to NJ via one of the tunnels when you leave.

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Thanks for replies so far (I got MUCH better response here than on Thorn Tree!) - I will investigate your suggestions. Our timings for my original plan were: arrive outskirts of NYC about 9:30am, returning about 7pm-8pm to collect our car and hopefully miss the traffic on Cross Bronx Expressway and GWB bridge. My God, I'm a foreigner (Brit), have never been to that part of the US and am already starting to sound like a local - well, apart from the accent of course :-)

One other thing - I did actually quite like the idea of arriving in NYC at Grand Central Station . . .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

What time Re you planning to leave NYC and what do you plan to do? with only the info you gave, I agree with the 2 options you have above. Makes no sense to park north of the city in Westchester and many of those stations dont have parking for nonresidents.

But eading out to your Newark hotel first would likely save cost of a day of the rental, save you having to return the car later, drive later in perhaps rush hour a d get the bags out of the car (leave them at the hotel). Just a thought.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Sorry. I wrote the above when you only had 2 answers and hadn't provided timing. I still say Westchester makes no sense, parking will be a problem there on a Mon. And I don't love the idea of leaving your stuff in the car whetever you park. What a out dropping the car in Manhattan? You could leave bags at

Scwartztravel.com

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

Well, assuming I could find a station with parking (the original purpose of this post) it seemed very convenient to me - its only half an hour into GCT from New Rochelle which is a station right off I95 that I will be on. Saves all the hassle of driving in a big foreign city (huge traffic jams, getting lost etc.) and gets us in MUCH earlier than trekking all the way round to NJ first (if we have to return the car, get shuttle to hotel, leave bags in hotel, then get from there into NYC, it'll be afternoon by the time we get there!). PLUS we get to arrive in Grand Central Terminus. By the way, we have kids with us (12 and 16).

Edited: 09 June 2013, 19:27
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

To get parking information from Metro North train stations, click on the station name on the map

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

I STILL think leaving the car in Westchester is crazy. IF you were going to do this, maybe on the other side of the Hudson would make some sense so you get the worst part of the trip out of the way. What about getting rid of the car altogether? There are Hertz & Avis locations at several Metro North stations. I think there's an Avis at New Rochelle.

Wiltshire UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to park rental car during a day in NYC enroute to EWA?

What's crazy about it? I want to do the potentially busy section of the journey in the evening AFTER the evening rush, rather than in the morning DURING the morning rush. And I don't want to get rid of the car so we don't have to worry about our luggage.