We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

Covina, California
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

Hi Guys

I am planning on going on a trip to new york in august. I have never been to new york before and so I need some advice on which hotels are the best to stay. I would like to stay in a hotel that is centrally located near good shopping and restaurants, or at least close to transportation that could get me to shopping and restaurants.

I also would like to stay in either a 4 or 5 star hotel that is trendy, chic, and on the newer side. Hotel amenities, such as spas, restaurants, gyms, business centers, etc. are not really important to me as I probably will not be taking advantage of any of those things. However, a hotel that has a nice lounge area or high level patio is a plus, but not a must. I would also like to stay in a hotel that has larger sized rooms (at least for new york standards). My budget is around $550-$600 a night. I have compiled a list of hotels I'm considering as well. Below are my list of hotels i've compiled so far:

-marcel at gramercy

-bentley hotel

-smyth tribeca

-distrikt hotel

-andaz 5th avenue/wall street

-amsterdam court

-paramount hotel times square

-hotel chandler

-the muse hotel

-empire hotel

-70 park avenue

-carlton hotel autograph collection

-hudson hotel

-w new york

-roger hotel

-morgans

-gild hall

-crosby street hotel

-trump soho

-chatwal

-the eventi

-gansevoort park avenue

-conrad hotel

-london nyc

-the mansfield

-tribeca grand hotel

-langham place

-the surrey

-duane street hotel

-the pearl

-the sanctuary hotel

Based on my above criteria, if anyone who has stayed in any of the hotels ive listed, could recommend which one to stay in, that would be great. Or, if there is a hotel not on the list and that meets my criteria that i should consider, please list those hotels. I appreciate all of your guys's help! I want to make my first trip a memorable one, so hotel is important to me!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

Trump Soho would get my vote

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

Have you looked at the new Hyatt in Union Square? Fantastic location.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,572 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

For the SoHo area, the Crosby Street Hotel

Covina, California
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

I checked the hotel's website, but it looks like the rooms are in a studio format, with the bathrooms open to the rooms. As I am going with two of my other guy friends, I would rather stay in a hotel that offers private, closed off bathrooms.

5. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 16:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

If 3 of you are sharing one room, that really changes everything. Most of the trendy hotels only have rooms for 2 people to share 1 bed. Your hotel lists runs the gamut from pretty basic (Amsterdam Court, Chandler, Marcel) to sublime (Chatwal, Crosby St.)

Of all the hotels on your list, I think only the Eventi has rooms with 2 queen beds. Will 2 share a bed?

The London is all 1 bedroom suites (separate sitting room) but they don't have sofabeds. The Conrad is also all 1 bedroom suites but some do have sofabeds. I would think your first priority needs to be sleeping arrangements.

I'd look at Trump International which is not on your list. They have apartments and it's in a great location at Columbus Circle. It may not be as trendy as some of the others, but it will be very comfortable.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

I had a great stay at the Distrikt hotel in 2011. The rooms are not large but very modern and very clean. There is a parole office near the hotel but it presented no problems during our stay.

8. Re: which hotel should i stay for first time trip to new york?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:15