We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on transportation options

Bay Area
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on transportation options

My family will be in NYC in early August. We will be sightseeing but will also be visiting some colleges my daughter wants to visit and then heading to Boston to do the same. One of the colleges is SUNY Purchase. I had originally thought to go to Purchase on the way to Boston, but I am second guessing due to logistics of hauling luggage with us and also reading about inexpensive bus options that would take us directly from New York to Boston. Wondering if it just makes more sense to do that as an out and back trip from the city and then head to Boston the next day. Looking for any advice as I try to balance not using up too much vacation time on travel, trying to keep costs down as well as keeping the hassle factor low. I am open to public transportation options or a one-way car rental.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on transportation options

Forgot to mention since group size is a factor that we are two adults and two teens.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on transportation options

Purchase makes an easy day trip from the city; you just take the train to White Plains and the special college bus from there, and the trains are very frequent. I wouldn't drag all my luggage around on a college tour.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on transportation options

Thank you for assuring me that it is an easy trip. The college has a spot where luggage could be dropped off, but it certainly would not be ideal. (Would probable embarrass the teen to the point of her never wanting to set foot on the campus again!)

4. Re: Advice on transportation options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16