We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Top bus around New York City

Wetherby
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Open Top bus around New York City

Having read the previous posts, circa 2009 about this was just wondering whether there are any updates. We are coming September 2013 and have four full days to explore the main tourist attractions including retail therapy for the ladies.

Any associated advice most welcome, thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

I don't know what you're asking. Are you asking about HOHO buses? What specifically do you want to know?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

Use the subway to get around the city. Take the HOHO once to get a nice overall view of the city.

Wetherby
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

OK, what I would like to know is which of the companies operating provide the best service for tourists?

Who would you use if you were a first time visitor to NYC?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

Use the subway to get around the city. Take the HOHO once to get a nice overall view of the city.

Someone will provide a good HOHO company...but you should not look to use it as transportation during your stay.

The subway is much more useful for getting from A to B.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

"Who would you use if you were a first time visitor to NYC?"

I would use the subway.

-JimG

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

Hola.

We walk a lot and take the subways and public busses to get around, but we still like the commercial “Hop-on Hop-off” double decker busses and (even though we have lived here in NYC for 40+ years) once or twice a year buy a pass and “do” the City as paying tourists.

We enjoy the rides by the different operators; the biggest difference is not which operator you choose, rather it is the guide/narrator that you happen to get, and whether he/she is engaging or knowledgeable. There are times when we hop-off one bus and hop-on another (but same operator) so that we have a different guide/narrator.

We think that the rides are fun and a great venue in which to meet visitors from around the planet. We took a ride about a year ago and had a great time!! And we are planning our next jaunt within a few weeks. By the way, there are several different "loops" including a night tour which is also VERY worthwhile. Generally, the 2-day pass is plenty.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,394 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

I would use Greyline for a single loop: they seem to have the most frequent buses. Then I would use the subway to get around.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

I love doing the hop on/hop off double decker buses in NYC.We have used them as transportation, (as long as you are not in any hurry at all and don't mind waiting for long periods at a time at stoplights and bus stops). We've used and can highly recommend the Grayline red buses.

Having said that, we are coming back in July and will do a one day pass on the HOHo buses to give my niece a view of the city for her first time there. Then........we plan to use the subways for the remainder of our trip when we are not walking.

Bath
Level Contributor
47 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

Just got back. I used NYC sightseeing tours. It cost $81 for a 4 day HOPO buss pass which included a trip upto the observation deck of the Empire State Building plus a 90 minute guided boat trip around Manhatten. Very much worth every penny as I'd have never gone to see Brooklyn, Harlem and the Bronx without it. Also you get money off coupons for lots of other attractions.

If your looking just to get around. Use the subway. It's safe cheap and very easy to navigate. Avoid cabs as the traffic is so bad you'll pay a fortune for going nowhere.

blackpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open Top bus around New York City

I wouldn't use Gray Line. We got ripped off by this company to the degree that I had to resort to complaining to the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs. My complaint was mediated by them and upheld. Look at the reviews on TA for them - I would recommend viewing the terrible ones first, just so that you are aware of what can go wrong. Use a different company.

P.S. I am a frequent traveller and have used similar companies on numerous occasions, so know what to expect from these services.