We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December with kids

Stoney Creek...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
December with kids

Still toying with New York in December but getting a lot of resistance. The eldest refuses to go anywhere but Florida and the youngest won't get on a plane. I can't think of anywhere to go that makes everyone happy, so I've decided that since I'm the one planning it, booking it and pretty much paying for it - New York it may be. So I have to sell this trip to the family quick before prices go up and I divorce hubby and disown the kids. So I have two annoyances - one 13, one 10, both girls. I think I'm picking a funky hotel for them, so they should like that. The eldest gave me a ton of grief the other day about me just dragging them through museums, which is pretty much what I'll be doing, but there must be some things in New York museums and art galleries that interest kids as well? The eldest likes to eat, so I'm pushing the fun restaurants. Ellen's diner - where they sing and there's some American girl restaurant, isn't there, where they loan you dolls to join for dinner? She also likes dessert - isn't NY cheesecake really good? The youngest is a bit harder to read - but toy stores, children's museums or hands-on type of things are good for her. I'm also thinking she'd like the street hotdog experience. I was thinking about pushing the ferry ride, but I'm thinking it might not be that pleasurable in December. If the experts could just suggest a few things that kids of that age really like in New York, I'll start leaving some guide books around with carefully placed post it notes. Not that they would read them, but I would feel like I at least tried before I booked it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December with kids

When I was that age, I was told where we were going and went happily. What's the deal here? They should be kissing your you know what for taking them anywhere! Are they not fans of Gossip Girl? On Location tours do movie/tv location tours that they might like.

NYC is magical at Xmas time. Have them watch Home Alone, What about going to the theater? Wicked? Spider Man? Mathilda? The Radio City Xmas Spectacular. Ice skating. Checking out the store windows. SHOPPING. C'mon. They need to get with the program. Or maybe suggest you'll leave them home with a sitter while you go with DH. ;)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December with kids

Miracle on 34th street - the original :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December with kids

Find a relative to keep them for a few days and you come and enjoy yourself!

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December with kids

The Ferry is fine in Dec they have inside seating. People take it everyday back and forth (and your from Canada, so it shouldn't be a problem) they sell really awesome hot chocolate I'm the renovated Staten Island Ferry terminal.

Also I thought the Roosevelt Island Tram ride was really cool when I was younger (maybe your older daughter will like that.

There is a cool Ferris wheel in the middle of the toys'r' us in Times Square that your younger daughter may appreciate.

www.timeout.com/new-York-kids is agood site for things that may interest them.

5. Re: December with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 07:17