We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

cincinnati
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

Looking for opinions on staying at Sheraton Weehawkin or Doubletree in Jersey City?

Going into NYC for one evening and the next day.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

how are you arriving?

cincinnati
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

we will be driving

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
591 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

When I drive to get to NYC, I also prefer staying outside NYC. I stayed at the Westin Jersey City a few times(loved it) and the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson. The Doubletree in Jersey City is also very good and I've stayed there as well. The PATH is super close so it's fast and easy to get to NYC.

I always got these hotels for around $130-$150 or less on Priceline or Hotwire.

Actually, I got the Westin for $100 on my last trip! Awesome deal.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

I think if your main goal is to see NYC you should stay in NYC. Imo parking in Jersey City is just as bad if not worse than Manhattan

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

The Double Tree in JC gives you PATH access to NYC which is excellent

Sheraton Weehawken relies on ferry service and while the trip is short and beautiful it's more expensive (though that may not matter much for a 2 day stay) - check the ferry schedule here and make sure it works for you, I think it will but double check nywaterway.com/LincolnHarborWeehawkenRoute.a…

One advantage of the ferry is that the price includes a bus service on the NYC side that will take you around mid-town manhattan, ie, the theater district and such. Here's the bus route www.nywaterway.com/BusStopsSchedules.aspx

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

We've stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City and it's very nice. You'll also be right across from the Path station.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

I think the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter. Assuming that ferry schedule works OK for you and that the hotel price is the same either way I'd do the Weehawken just because the ferry ride is so beautiful -- it's a novelty in a way that taking PATH isn't. OTOH, it's 9 bucks each way (vs 2.50 for path) so if there's a bunch of you it will eat into your savings

Tulsa
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

We stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln at Weehawken and never used the ferry. We found it very easy to take the bus into Port Authority and the cost was less than 3.00 a person. The bus ride was usually around 12 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. We booked this hotel to save money and actually enjoyed coming back to Weehawken in the evening and having a beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline. Enjoy your trip!

9. Re: Hotel outside of city-Weehawkin or Jersey City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:18