We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Hey!

I want to go to NYC at the last week of Aug to see the US Open. I was wondering if anyone knew any what a good price for a flight from Toronto to NYC is at the end of Aug? I've hear it can be sub 250? Is this true?

For the tennis fans, anyone know what a good price for Loge seats are during the tail end of the first week of the US Open? I'm thinking of buying my tickets using the ticketmaster resell.

Also, any tips for cheap hotels/hostels?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Kayak.com is good for flights

What budget do you have for hotel per night?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

We stayed in Long Island city at the Verve hotel when visiting the US open. We also used the ticketmaster resell site. If weather interrupts play you don't have the same benefits as the main Ticketmaster site so check that out before going ahead. We went to men's quarter final and the final. A great experience.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Here's my opinion regarding US Open tix (I know, it's unsolicitated but here it is anyway) -

If you're casual tennis fans and just want to see the big names only, then tickets to Ashe stadium will be fine - just keep in mind that unless you are ready to pay big bucks, you'll likely not have great seats - Ashe stadium is huge when compared with Centre Court at Wimbledon or Roland Garros.

For the more avid tennis fan, the better option is either a grounds pass or tickets to Louis Armstrong. With a grounds pass, you have access to all courts except Ashe. The Louis Armstrong tickets allow you reserved seats in Armstrong but no access to Ashe - the big advantage over grounds passes is that if a big name gets placed into Armstrong, the crowd can be huge and sometimes a line forms to enter Armstrong - you just walk to the front, show your tickets, and go to your reserved seat. With either of these options, you get to see matches up close - literally an arms length at times on the outer courts - it would be as if these pros were playing at your local high school court. Also, if you want to see say, Sharapova or Federer, then they show these matches on the big screens all over the property (with replays) as opposed to seeing little ants running around the court.

Of course, the above is more applicable the earlier in the tournament.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Its easy to get grounds tickets. You can just buy them at the center even if it says SOLD OUT

I bought mine on a very nice Labor Day and they would still sell me tickets (I got their first thing in the morning)

Agreed on avoding Arthur Ashe Stadium, The lower Level is sold to Corporations and the masses get to set far away in the Upper Deck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

I was thinking of splurging on Loge seats on Ashe? Any thoughts on this? The dream is to see Serena and Roger.

Also, any advice on flight prices? Not sure if I should scoop up YYZ-LGA at about 285

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

The loge seats are okay. I actually sat there for Agassi's last match. And if you want to see a particular player, you may or may not see them depending upon who's slated for that day. However, you'll see that seats in Armstrong and Grandstand are significantly better. Unfortunately, the only way you'll see Serena or Roger in Armstrong is if there is a lot of rain earlier in the tournament and they have to juggle the schedule - this happened a few years ago, where rain knocked out about 3 days early on -wreaked havoc on the schedule and they were putting players anywhere they can fit. It was great as a fan.

ny, ny
Level Contributor
91 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Recently flew from NYC to TOR. Was around $100 and change each way...... flew Porter Air which was awesome! But they only go to Newark (NJ)... however the other major carriers had similar prices.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

You have had some great advice

For whats its worth , I spent $100 on ashe tickets for day and night sessions for each session - well worth it in my view

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

I don't mind Ashe either. Yes the seats are high but I've never had a problem seeing the matches.

During the day sessions I usually start on some of the outer courts, then go into Ashe mid afternoon. Depending on the competitiveness of the last match on Ashe, I might leave before it's over and find another match. One year we ended up in the third row in Grandstand and saw a really competitive match between Tim Henman and Taylor Dent. Lasted till after 7. I really felt like I got my money's worth that day.

I understand though why others don't feel the price for a ticket in Ashe is worth it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
309 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to New York, planning trip for Aug - Tennis/US Open

Do Ashe tickets allow you to go to grandstand and Armstrong stadiums?