We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for teen daughter

Boca Raton, FL
2 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for teen daughter

I wanted to take my entire family to NYC this summer for a vacation, but it turns out with my husband and son's new job that they cannot take any time off. I would like to take my 13 year old daughter and maybe have a mom and daughter vacation and then head to NJ to visit some relatives. We want to hit the regular tourist spots, Empire State, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, shopping, Times Square. Any suggestions for something different or unique for a teen to enjoy? Also, where would be a good location to find a place to stay?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

If this is your first visit, most everything will be unique. Just the excitement of being in the Big City should get the 13 year old all "revved" up. Teens are very good with the internet, have her search what she would like to do? Which Broadway play, which museums she wants to visit. Take her to the West and East Villages, to Soho, to Chelsea.

You'll have a marvellous time. Let your fingers do the trawling through the internet. Reas the list on the right, the various trip reports. Come back with your ideas and questions.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

+1 on the above post^^!

A 13 year old will want to plan part of the trip(at least I would.)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

I know you all will have a great time and do let her do some of the planning.

Since she was 1 year old when Sept 11th happened, do talk to her about it. The 9/11 memorial is a place where close to 3000 were killed and many more were injured and have PTSD it is not a regular tourist spot to be stuck between the Empire State building and Central Park. You will find some context at the Tribute Center or the nearby Preview site.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/…sept-11-2012.html

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

Hi I did a long running trip report of what my teens liked on our Springbreak trip. There might be some hints in there for you. Of the beaten track they liked for fun the Wax Museum. Get discounts at Goldstar.com

Enjoy your trip

Boca Raton, FL
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

Thank you for your input - yes, she is helping with the planning, and she has already put in for the Wax Museum because 1 Direction's figures are on tour there this summer when we plan on going.

My daughter was toddler when 9/11 happened, but she has been taught by us what happened and how it affected us and the country. We have a couple relatives survive who worked at the WTC but either offsite that day or made it out. We wouldn't miss visiting the memorial.

I forgot to ask, if anyone could help, any suggestions for shopping that is unique. We will go to Macy's and the regular mainstream stores most teen girls like, but she also like vintagey, unique clothing.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

If she likes vintage then the Brooklyn Flea is great. Not just clothing but lots of retro stuff.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

Brooklyn Flea is very cool.

Also have a walk(South) down Broadway starting at 8th Street.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

Not vintage but my peeps loved the Uniqlo (probably spelled wrong) on 5th ave.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

^^

Correct spelling(and good suggestion.) There is one on Bway in the Village. Also, have her check out Topshop in that same area on Bway(below 8th Street heading South.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,477 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for teen daughter

UNIQLO is great! (3 spots in NYC: 5th Ave., Herald Square and SoHo), Topshop is just next block on Broadway in SoHo. Scoop may also be of interest to her. The general area south of Washington Square Park has a lot to occupy any teenager (or adult for that matter). And for fun go through Bleecker Street all the way to Hudson Street.

The playground at the end may even give you some celebrity parent sightings.