We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Quick stop at NYC

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help: Quick stop at NYC

Hi all,

I will arrive at Newark Airport (EWR) on coming 21st June at 7:00 am. I will rent a car so it will be around 8:00am. I will have about 5hrs to visit few places before I head up for a meeting. Then I will return on Sunday evening say by 5:30pm. I will have all the night before I catch my flight on 7:00am on Monday morning.

What can I do? I have following in my mind. Please help me refine it and detail it.

Friday morning:

1. See the statue of liberty. I know it is closed. I just want to see it because it is AWESOME !!!

Questions:

i) Can I drive to a point and park my car for rest of the day?

ii) Staten Island Ferry is free. Is this the best for me or some other tour can give me more value given my time constrain? Also where can I park and from where to where should I go on the ferry to explore the rest.

2. Second on my list is to get a view from Brooklyn Promenade and see or walk the Brooklyn bridge.

Questions:

i) Silly one: what is promenade? Is it a big building like empire state?

ii) From the ferry where should I stop for this. How long does it take to get done with promenade and the bridge. If it takes too long I will do just a bit of the bridge.

3. Take a quick stroll in SoHo.

Questions:

i) I will be hungry by then so where can I eat?

ii) Can I buy an decent not so overpriced overcoat for my gf there?

iii) How do I get back to where I parked my car in the first place ?

Sunday Evening:

1. See times square and the empire state building.

Questions:

i) Where to park? Is it easier if I return my car leave luggage somewhere. (where?) and come to see this?

ii) Till what time is it advisable to be in the square?

iii) Can I buy tkts for empire state online and will that help me save time?

iv) How do I get back to my car or the airport?

I will also need some advice on ground transportation. Like which subway to take, what tkt is best for this plan etc. Are the directions to these places well marked on the streets?

Thank you very much for your help and time. I appreciate all you great advisors.

Amol

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

Where are your meetings? If they're in Manhattan you won't need or want a rental car.

On your arrival, especially if you have a rental car, you can get good views of the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

The Brooklyn Promenade is a street/walkway along the East River. It does have wonderful skyline views.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

Thanks for your reply. I have my meeting up in Canajoharie !!! It is a sahaja yoga meditation program. To go to brooklyn I will have to cross the river anyways so what's the suggestions now?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

Don't rent a car.

Where in Brooklyn do you need to go?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

ter1413, sorry for the confusion. I need to rent a car to go up to Canajoharie. In the small time that I have just want to view a few places. SOL, brooklyn promenade and the brooklyn bridge. So I need to park at some plae take a ferry to brooklyn and then come back to my car in 5 hrs.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

How do I get from Liberty State Park to Brooklyn Promenade?

Can I do it by a boat?

Also, is there a boat tour I can take from the park which take a few hours and I can head up to my meeting?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

It's not a tour, but you can take a ferry from Liberty State Park to lower Manhattan (and back.) Depending on how much time you had available you could then do a variety of things - get tickets for the 9/11 Memorial, walk down to South Ferry and take the Staten Island Ferry, take another ferry tour from lower Manhattan, take the subway to Brooklyn, and lots more.

Here's the URL for the ferry.

libertylandingferry.com/weekday-schedule.aspx

If you're then going to drive to upstate New York you really don't need to drive into New York at all. You can just leave from New Jersey.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

I presume you understand that it is a very long drive to Canjoharie. Five hours is not enough time for your hopes. Here's one idea, based on the fact that EWR and Canjoharie are both on the West side of the Hudson River. Park in Jersey City State Park. You can almost touch the back side of the Statue (exaggeration ... ) Use the boat basin/marina ferry to go to Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn, paying a premium price for NY Water Taxi if necessary. (If you cheap this out, you'll get nothing done in five hours!)

I think you have to choose between lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, but I've never tried to get to Brooklyn from Jersey City. There is also a fast and cheap ferry (ONLY to the World Trade Center area) from the business district (i.e. Goldman Sachs) of Jersey City, but this is not easily accessible from the State Park/Marina area.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

Thanks for your reply. I will come and park in the state park. If I just want to explore from the boat and drop the idea of actually going to Manhattan or Brooklyn then do I have options? Like a 1-2 hr cruise.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

What time is your meeting in Canajoharie? It's a long drive, but not ridiculously so. You don't necessarily have to give up your idea of spending a bit of time in Manhattan, even if you park in NJ. It seems like a waste to spend all of your time on a tourist cruise just looking at it from afar.

BTW, give up the idea of going shopping for an overcoat for your GF. That takes a lot of precious time and there aren't a lot of overcoats for sale during the summer.

Let forum members know your exact schedule and you may get more precise advise.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help: Quick stop at NYC

Thanks Chris, I know that Canajoharie is about 3.5 hrs from the state park. Correct me if wrong. I want to be there by 5:00pm. Does it get dark by then?

So on Friday say I have time from 8:00am to 1:00pm to be on the safe side. I was thinking either to get a boat ride or may be take the fast boat to the financial city and just roam around. May be see the 9/11 memorial to pay my respects. Based on the replies, I have not been able to make a concrete plan.

On the day back which is Sunday evening, I will skip any plans unless there is a way to park in manhattan and climb the emipre state building.