We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Hasselt, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Hi

Me and my girlfriend are making a roadtrip in the US this summer.

We're going to start our adventure in NYC and from there we'll hit the Westcoast.

We need to check in 2 hours prior to our domestic flight to SF at 07.00AM at EWR.

Since the Airtrain only starts at 05.00AM, we do not have that option.

We are wondering what is the best (and cheapest) way to get from LIC to EWR (we're located close to Queensboro Plaza metro) smoothly. Also, are there good subway connections at that time of the day?

Thank in advance!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Don't know where you get the idea that the EWR Airtrain starts running at 5:00AM, it in fact runs 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Therefore the cheapest way would be to take any of the N/Q or 7 trains from Queensboro Plaza to the 42nd St/Times Square station, then transfer to the downtown 1/2/3 train one stop to Penn Station. From there take a NJ Transit train to the Newark Airport station for $12.50 per person, then the Airtrain to your terminal.

It is true that all the trains, both subway and NJ Transit, will be more infrequent in the wee hours, but if you allow yourself enough time that shouldn't be an issue as the actual train travel times are pretty short. You can find a schedule for the NJ Transit section at www.NJTransit.com by entering your date and time needed.

The other alternative would be a door to door car service but I think that's going to cost you close to $90-100.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Scott is incorrect, as Tom states, EWR Airtrain has no service between approximately 2:00 -5:00 AM

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur…

Why don't you go the night before and get an airport hotel at EWR. That's what I'd do. Else I think you're stuck with a car service or taxi

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Well, I'm going to have to say there's some conflicting information going on here. The brochure you posted says that Airtrains arrive at stations "every three minutes from 5AM until Midnight, then every 15 minutes from Midnight-5AM when shuttle service is in effect. " So sounds to me like the train still runs but with less frequency, or shuttle buses are running the same route from the Newark Airport Rail Station to the terminals.

To make it more confusing, the same brochure says "NJ Transit service to Airport Terminal is not available from 2-5AM," BUT I did a quick search on NJTransit's website for a trip tomorrow morning from Penn Station to Airport Station starting at 4:00AM and it gives me trains at 4:00, 4:30, and 4:51, all arriving in the regular 25-30 minute time range. So is that brochure outdated?

Here is another quote pasted right from NJTransit's website:

"AirTrain is a simpler, easier way to get to, from, and around Newark Liberty International Airport. Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, AirTrain provides easy connections to NJ Transit and the rail lines that run on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line. "

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

I agree with you, Scott. The information on the web is confusing and even contradictory. In fact, I just called them and their recorded message says that it runs 24x7 (not surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to reach a human being). I sent an email request for further information and will report back -- if they respond

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Did you hear anything back? This is pretty important not just for the OP, but since the NJTransit/Airtrain is suggested to folks on an almost daily basis, it will come up again.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

no, haven't gotten a reply

I'm going to try to find a phone number

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Ok, I reached an actual human being. Two of them, in fact, who were very helpful. Here's the scoop, Airtrain is 24x7 but NJ Transit has no service between approximately 2:00-5:00 AM.

Now, I pointed out to them that their web site is very misleading because a traveler does not care about this distinction between Airtrain and NJ Transit -- someone trying to get to NYC at 2:30 AM just needs to get to NYC! I asked them to bump this up to their supervisor, etc. and left my name. Will this do any good, I have no idea!

But thank you, Scott, for pointing out the discrepancy

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

I delved a little deeper and what it appears they're trying to get across is that there IS a gap during the night. Via NJTransit.com's scheduler, I used the date 6/20 from Newark Rail Station to Penn Station asking to depart at 2:00AM. It gave me trains at 2:04, 4:48, and 4:59, so basically it shuts down for almost three hours.

Going the other way, from Penn Station to Newark starting at 2:00AM, it gave me the same ones I pulled up yesterday starting at 4:00AM so there is an approximately two hour gap from New York. If I had to guess, this gap probably revolves around staging the trains for their morning rush hour, i.e. there might be trains running through that station going either way but they're not stopping.

I still think the OP can use the trains and get there in plenty of time for a 7:00AM domestic flight, but any earlier or for an international flight, you'd have to find an alternative.

Thanks LivesinNewJersey for taking the time to call them. Next time this question comes up we'll all be better informed. (And I will know to avoid early flights at EWR!)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

To the OP: I'd check with the airline about what time you need to actually check in for a domestic 7 a.m. flight. You should also ask them how early they open their counters at the gate for check in. It may well be later than 5 a.m. so getting there before the counters open AT THE GATE is a waste of time. The TSA security lines should be open. Make sure to print out your boarding passes in advance, or have them available through your cell phone if that's an option for you.

Hasselt, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Long Island City to Newark Airport (EWR)

Thank you all for the very useful information! We really appreciate all the help we have received from you guys.

We just double checked the info and found a train at njtransit.com at 04:05AM. This should give us plenty of time since we need to arrive at least 90min prior to our flight.