We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

We're visiting June 21st to 24th and would like to visit MOMA. I've been a couple of times before and know the lines can be long. Any hints on when to go to avoid long lines? I'm considering buying a membership but thinking we might still be in line to buy guest tickets for the rest of the family.

Darned forum rules won't allow all caps title. Annoying.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Early on a weekday is best.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Guest tickets (same day only) are purchased at the fat cat ... I mean ... Members' desk, which is separate from the long lines. I admit that I haven't personally done this, but I did go up to the Members desk to ascertain that I could theoretically buy a guest ticket for someone coming without me, later the same day. I wonder if Members coming on a long-line day should consider entering from 54th street???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

If there is a long line outside, members are allowed to skip it. There is rarely a line for the members desk to buy guest passes. Perhaps one or two people in front of you.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,823 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

If u Are planning to buy a membership get there at 9:30 and enjoy the members only hour and u will also get 20 percent off all purchases that day

Thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Thanks everyone.

With 4 adults it is the exact same price to buy a membership for one and buy guest passes for 3. In fact, if my son becomes the member with his student ID then we would save money!

No fat cat here, just a cheapskate. /wink

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Sharonanne, just a warning that Members don't get access to the entire museum at 9:30, usually just one of the more popular temporary exhibitions. Right now, it's only the Rain Room and Le Corbusier.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 17:42
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

That would be perfect as we particularly want to see the Rain Room. I'm sure we'll be there until 1030 when the museum opens.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,823 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

The lines for the rain room are bad even for members get there very early and stick your folks in line nd then go get your membership or come back the following day membership in hand. I am a great fan of odd exhibits but I didn't think this line was worth it but you might feel otherwise.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2013/06/line-standin…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Daughter's only request was for the Rain Room at MOMA.

An e-mail from membership services says that we can get a student membership at the member desk with student ID. With 3 guest passes that will save us $35 on regular admission plus give us early entry and money off in the store and restaurants. Sounds like a deal to me.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

May I ask you,please?Is Rain Room accessible on Friday free late afternoons...or is it definitely a mission impossible and a membership is required?Thanks!