We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark airport customs??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Newark airport customs??

I am flying from glasgow into Newark airport then catching a flight to Fort Lauderdale. My flights are with the same airlines but I only have 1 hour 50 mins between my flights. I am now worried it will be too tight as we will need to clear customs and I am not sure how long it takes to go through US customs

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark airport customs??

You should repost onnthe Newark NJ fourm. I would leave atleast 3hours to clear customs and recheck everything.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark airport customs??

I do not think that is enough time, but don't know what you can do about it. Be sure to be ready to deplane as soon as you can. Then I would plead with the people in front of you in line at customs and hope that they will allow you to go ahead of them. The lines for customs and security in Newark are usually very long.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark airport customs??

Thanks for the info. I am contacting the airline to see if they will allow me to amend and get a later flight

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark airport customs??

It's really depending on the immigration line, it's not predictable. You might be through in like 10 minutes (yet it sometimes takes a while to get your bags in Newark). But you might as well have to wait for 1 hour + at immigration.

I'm also more comfortable with a connection time of around 2.5 to 3 hours when I have to clear immigration and customs.

If you can, try to rebook.

NJ
Level Contributor
166 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark airport customs??

I fly in and out of Newark on a regular basis. It is never just 10 minutes.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark airport customs??

<I fly in and out of Newark on a regular basis. It is never just 10 minutes.>

When I flew in to Newark in October, I didn't have to wait at all, I could go straight up to the officer. So it is possible. Yet I had to wait a whole hour last month....

It depends on the number of flights that are coming in at the same time and the same terminal. And ultimately, the faster you walk from the plane to the immigration hall, the shorter you wait. And if you sit in the first rows on the plane, you chances are even better.

But like I said, it's really unpredictable.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 14:21
Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark airport customs??

Took about an hour earlier this month. There were others on our flight with a similar predicament to you, some panicking more than others. Some spoke to the guards and they all seemed to get through on time.

Also be aware that even though your bags may be checked straight through you have to pick them up at the carousel and take them to another area before heading to your connecting flight.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark airport customs??

If, for some reason, you miss your connection, ascertain in advance that the airline will put you on another flight if necessary at no extra cost.

Normally, custom works where you collect your bag, go through Customs, and put your bag on a cart so it can be moved to your next flight. So it is not like you have to recheck your luggage. But you may have to go through Airport Security to get to the next gate.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 17:08
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newark airport customs??

You will most certainly have to through security again after customs, no exceptions.

Depending on what airline you arrive with I've actually observed the procedure "re-checking bags" for connecting passengers as different than at other airports. I was on a Lufthansa flight and the transfer passengers (I wasn't one) were told to take their bags into the arrival area and drop them off at some place. (don't know where exactly)

But that may have been because of Lufthansa arriving at another terminal. I assume you will be on United all the way, so it might be easier. Normally you can just put your suitcase on a conveyor right behind customs.

10. Re: Newark airport customs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:18