We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

Our family (me, my husband, 3 daughters ages 7,8,9) will be staying in NYC for 3 weeks next summer. Our trip is funded by a grant with a focus of exploring ethnic neighborhoods in NYC. Given the focus, we'd like to rent someplace in a neighborhood that gives us a good feel of living in NYC but is also convenient for exploring the typical tourist sites.

Are there particular neighborhoods that would be especially family-friendly, convenient and interesting? We're focusing on Manhattan or Brooklyn but we are in the initial stages of research so we are open to other ideas as well.

Thanks for any ideas you have!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to rent a place for three weeks in NYC, as most rentals under 30 days are illegal.

However, there are a few single-family homes available for rent which do not violate our local laws. This house is in my neighborhood. Jackson Heights is well-connected by public transit and is probably the single most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the country, so it will fit your bill. In general, if you're looking at exploring ethnic neighborhoods in NYC you need to stay *out* of most of Manhattan, as the ethnicities have been pretty much bleached out of much of Manhattan by a huge flood of money. (Chinatown excepted.)

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/183126

I strongly suggest you contact the owner of this property and see if you can make some dates work for you. I'd be happy to tell you more about Jackson Heights, but here's what I mean: http://jacksonrep.org/167Tongues.html

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

I'm sure you will get many great suggestions here from the locals, which I am not, but I'm planning to stay in Long Island City across the East River from Queens. Besides the more affordable cost, one of the main attractions is the ease with which to explore more ethnic/diverse neighborhoods like Astoria and Flushing/Corona.

You should probably elaborate on your criteria for choosing a particular neighborhood beyond using the word "ethnic". In Toronto we have many ethnic, multicultural areas where the residents are mainly the children and grandchildren of the original immigrants. Those areas are definitely very different then the areas where newly arrived immigrants currently live, including housing, shopping, eating opportunities, etc and would be two completely different experiences for a tourist or " researcher".

Looking forward to reading others' opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Astoria
Astoria
Queens, NY
Flushing
Flushing
Queens, NY
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

morefam, please ask me about Queens :)

LIC is an excellent neighborhood of affordable hotels. The trick here is finding somewhere suitable for five people for three weeks that isn't crazy expensive like, say, the Marmara would be. That's a somewhat awkward length of time, because at that point hotels tend to look really expensive, but it's too short a time to legitimately rent most non hotel properties. I'd love to find these guys a house. Presumably some of the other destination experts will pop up soon with other ideas ...

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
379 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

What is your budget for housing? That will play a big role in your options.

Have you contacted the organization that gave you the grant to see if they have access to additional housing options? If it is a charitable or educational organization, perhaps they have some options that wouldn't be available to the typical tourist. Or they could get special discounted rates at hotels.

It sounds like you are exploring many neighborhoods, and you hint that it's not terribly critical that you actually stay in one of those "ethnic neighborhoods", especially if it means travel to other neighborhoods on your agenda is more difficult. The most important thing will be good subway access, and safety. Safety is not a concern in typical tourist areas, but some (not all) of the "ethnic neighborhoods" throughout NYC have a higher crime rate and may not be where you should chose to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

jhwanderer,

Oh, as I was typing your name I finally clued in to the "jh" likely standing in for Jackson Heights, even though I've read your posts for a while now! I hoped you would respond to the OP :) At times like this I also think about Queensboulevard and I miss their input :(

<<morefam, please ask me about Queens>>

What would you like me to ask you? I can PM you or start another thread so this one doesn't get hijacked.

In the meantime, fyi: I will be visiting with my 17 year old son at the end of next week, flying in early June 28th and flying out late July 1st. We are booked at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View and really looking forward to our visit. We were in NYC last summer with my husband and his sister's family so not likely to re-visit ESB, SOL, etc. There was so much we wanted to see but didn't/couldn't and hope to cover some of that this visit :) Husband has opted not to join us this time :(

I've been lurking on this forum for months and filing away all sorts of little tidbits of info; would love to add more. My original plan was to bring along a niece who has never been to NYC but unfortunately she can't make it. I can always use her as an excuse to return sooner rather than later!

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: 3-week stay for a family - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:18