We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

We are staying in LIC and plan to go to Coney Island on July 4th for Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. We want to get an early start and be at Coney Island by 10am at the latest and have breakfast before we get there. Looking for recommendations for places that serve a yummy breakfast that are along the subway route from LIC to Coney Island. Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

There are thousands of places along that route. You will go through Downtown Brooklyn/Sunset Park/Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst/etc.

If you are headed to CI, I would not get off the train to have bkfast and then get back on. I would find a good spot new LIC and head straight to CI.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

I agree with ter. I don't think there are a lot of places in Coney Island for breakfast apart from McDonalds. There's one bagel place

menupages.com/restaurants/…

but I wouldn't count on it being open on July 4th. Nathan's does have breakfast items (according to their website) but I'm not sure what. The subway ride will be at least an hour if not more.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

If you wanted a REALLY early start you could watch the sunrise over Manhattan at Brooklyn Promenade then have some breakfast somewhere around there before heading out to Coney Island.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

The sun rises at 5:30! The Bridge Cafe is supposed to open at 5 but I'd check about that day.

menupages.com/restaurants/bridge-coffee-shop/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,400 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

Oops, that's early! But I did say a REALLY early start ;-) The view would still be nice a bit later as well.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

How about a Georgian [think Russia not peaches] bread shop. Like this one in nearby Brighton Beach:

…seriouseats.com/2011/06/good-bread-georgian…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

There is a 24/hr diner right on Montague Street(2 blocks from the Promenade) that they can go to if they want to go this route.....

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

Also, if you are looking at Manhattan from the promenade, the sun is rising BEHIND you. ;-)

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

Just so you know you'll be standing for hours in direct sunlight for the hot dog eating contest. The women compete first and then the men. We had a blast last year and totally enjoyed it. Just make sure you have sunscreen and water and are prepared to stand in a large crowd for several hours. Be sure to walk out on the fishing pier after the contest for a view of the most crowded beach you will ever see! It makes for some awesome photos.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places for good breakfast eats in Brooklyn?

Thank you for all the tips. It's probably best that we do eat breakfast in LIC before we head on to CI. The menu for Bridge Coffee Shop looks great. I think we'll head there for a late lunch after the Hotdog Eating Contest. How easy is it to get onto the Brooklyn Bridge from there as plan to walk across it to Manhattan?