We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather for July 4th fireworks?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Weather for July 4th fireworks?

Been checking the weather and I see a lot of thunderstorms in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. I know we have to wait until the week of, but are thunderstorms in NYC brief? We have tix for the Intrepid. I guess I will bring my rain shell just in case.

I am from San Francisco and the joke with 7/4 fireworks is that our infamous summer low fog can turn the show into "colored fluffy clouds."

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

Wow...I would take whatever weather you see now with a grain of salt. Check back the Sunday of to get a better picture.

Re thunderstorms in NY...sometimes they can last 10 min(this past Monday was an example) and sometimes they can last for a while...

But don't read into any forecast right now.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

Yes to all of the above.

Maybe this'll help but it won't change the weather that actually happens. Our low fog/humidity/ etc often turns NYC into Gotham City.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weather/

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

"Wow...I would take whatever weather you see now with a grain of salt. Check back the Sunday of to get a better picture."

Of course, I am not expecting clairvoyance here. : ) Just wanted to see if there was a typical pattern like we do in SF. It really is true that more often than not we have low lying fog disappointing many tourists.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

No typical pattern. June has been incredibly rainy so far with most of the storms lasting a day with lots of rain. As far as predicting weather weeks into the future-take with a huge grain of salt.Hopefully it will be warm and sunny-today is very nice for instance!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

No real pattern.

Earlier this week we had thunderstorms in various areas every day(Sun-Tues.)

Yesterday through this Sat, it is supposed to be very nice.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

It will most likely be hot and humid with chances of pop-up thunderstorms late afternoon, evening. That's typical summer weather pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi River. My main concern is if we have a flight home in the late afternoon. Several years ago we spent the night on the floor at JFK when lines of thunderstorms kept building and moving through.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

So getting closer and I see a storm is coming in. Guess I better count on bringing a rain shell. We are on the Intrepid and it says rain or shine. It looks hot and muggy there the next few days! I spent one summer in Baltimore and remember going from the AC house, to AC car, to AC work building. This Left Coast girl doesn't do hot and humid well!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

Wait....July 4th is next Thurs??? Pls don't base what "might" happen on a 10 day forecast. Wait until the weekend or next Monday to get a better forecast....

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

I know I know ... just waxing poetic and pontificating. I have to plan and pack ahead as I have a very busy week. I have to leave the house right after work to pick up someone before heading off to our redeye flight.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather for July 4th fireworks?

And BTW... I am not one of those people who will freak out if a little precipitation falls down and it won't "ruin" my vacation. Just a over planner at work here. : )