We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

I've read reviews, both good and bad about SIF.

I'm considering Thurs or Friday night at dusk. Will those days be jam-packed? Would it be better to forego the night skyline view to miss the crowds by trying for a midday trip?

What do NYers say?

I know the paid cruises get you a better view. We're economizing, so...

I'm just concerned it will be so mobbed as to be unpleasant. (As one reviewer on TA suggested)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,964 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

Rush hours will be more crowded, but if crowds bother you NYC will be a challenge anyway.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

We take it on the weekends or late night.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

Thanks. I'm ok with crowds generally, have been to NYC lots of times, but never on SIF.

So. it's not crowds per-se, but the prospect of waiting in a long line only to be jammed on the wrong side of the boat to see the skyline/statue of Liberty.

Oldies--thanks for the recommendation!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,058 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

It is important to remember that the SIF is a commuter boat. Anytime large amounts of people would be commuting there will be crowds. The average commuter is not looking at the skyline, the statue of Liberty or anything else. He/she is just anxious to either get to work or get home.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

Thanks, lady! Good to know!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

If you time it right you can take it over late in the day so that it will be dark on the return trip. We do that every once in awhile; don't remember ever having problems with crowds. The ferries are very large. Check the schedule for returns so you don't get stuck there as they don't run as frequently at night on weekends. We once had to hang around for awhile and there's nothing to do. I think it's so magical at night.

staten island
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

You don't really wait in a long line. It's a waiting hall and people just load in. You can either wait by the door before they open, or do what I do and hang back and wait for most of the crowd to go in first. Also, most people go to the right side of the ferry from Manhattan to SI. I prefer the back decks and the front for the return (if they are open on your boat) for the skyline and SOL. You'll be closer to SOL on the way from Manhattan to SI.

There are a few good restaurants in the vicinity of the ferry terminal on SI (Beso being the closest), if you're interested.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,989 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

You'll be able to walk all over the inside of the ferry. They are HUGE with multiple levels both inside and outside. There's even a Starbucks inside.

9. Re: Best time - day to take Staten Island Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18