We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One special meal in NYC

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
One special meal in NYC

I will be in NYC celebrating my 15th anniversary en route to Europe in August. We are only in NY one night and I want to have a very special dinner on our anniversary.

We are staying at the Midtown Hilton so we'd like to find a place in Manhattan.... and we would like to spend <$200 total for the two of us.

I have been looking at reviews on TA and other sites and have kinda narrowed the choice to the following places:

Keens

Gotham

Le Bernardin

Daniel

Eleven Madison Park

Per Se

Can I get any opinions on the above or suggestions for other restaurants? We want great food (steaks, seafood), good service and a view would be a bonus.

I really appreciate any assistance making our anniversary one we will never forget!

Thanks!

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One special meal in NYC

Some of the restaurants you have mentioned will run you more than that per person. Have you looked at their menus?

Edited: 24 June 2013, 15:14
New York, NY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One special meal in NYC

As stated before: Many of those restaurants will run you more than $200 per person.

Also some will require reservations 30-60 days in advance, especially Eleven Madison Park and Per Se (both which are $450 per person I believe with wine pairing, $250 per person without wine, before tax and tip)

What are you interested in? Italian (specifically, pasta/pizza), French, Korean, Japanese, "American"? Also, how much does ambiance and decor count?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One special meal in NYC

I had looked at some of them... I did look at Per Se, Daniel, and Le Bernadin after I posted .. those may be a little more than I'd like to spend (especially Per Se). I'm also considering Capital Grille and Old Homestead... but I'm leaning towards Keens or Eleven Madison Park.

Also open to landmark type places the the Russian Tea Room (think that's the name) or places with great views.

Appreciate any help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One special meal in NYC

I'll pile on and say most on that list will be over $200 for 2 (esp. with drinks/wine). Trying to compare a steakhouse like Keens (which would not be my pick if I were wanting a steakhouse in NYC) to fine dining places like Daniel and Le Bernardin and EMP is impossible.

If you want good basic food and a view, have you considered a dinner cruise like

bateauxnewyork.com

It's not the finest food in NYC but more of a NYC experience with very good food, live music and dancing, something you won't get on land.

Robert restaurant in the Museum of Art & Design has good (not great) food and a very nice view of Central Park (go before it gets too dark). They also do a very nice job with desserts specially prepared for a celebration if you give them a heads up.

http://robertnyc.com/

If you just want a great steak, I think Marea or BLT Prime are nicer than Keens.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,853 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One special meal in NYC

Keens has an old quirky atmosphere but it's not romantic at all - tables quite close together. Never got steak there since they're more known for their lamb.

It's a completely different experience (more casual) than most of the others on your list, but it might be the least expensive.

Since you mention steaks/seafood not sure why you have so many more creative menus on your list - have you looked at the menus of these places?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One special meal in NYC

Thank so much for the advice... it's tough flying in for our anniversary, just for one night and then leaving the next day for Europe. That's a little pressure the make the evening a special one.

Here are a few more details. I'd like to eat at a somewhat famous, NY landmark type place. I have been to NYC a few times but have focused on things other than fine dining (we usually see shows or do more touristy things).

I would like to keep the total to around $200 - $250 including 2 drinks each and tip. Most importantly, we'd like a great meal... American (steak or seafood) or French. Secondly, great atmosphere... not stuffy but a fun place, preferably with a great view of the city.

Thanks again!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One special meal in NYC

Warmwinds:

Yeah, I get what you mean.. I'm a more adventurous eater (tried Le Pigeon in February and loved it). My other half is very traditional... steaks and seafood. I'm kinda trying to find a good place we will both love.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One special meal in NYC

I'll fall back on my favorite and oft-recommended Gramercy Tavern. The food and atmosphere are special, but the food is probably 'normal' or 'safe' enough to please your other half. Not too much tapioca or 'beetroot foam' or whatever.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,853 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One special meal in NYC

Le Pigeon in Portland??

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply