We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to NYC, questions

kentucky
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to NYC, questions

We will be visiting NYC for our first time. We will arrive on July 5th. We were thinking about getting the Explorer Pass that includes the CitySights Hop on Hop Off bus tour just as an overview of the city. I've read negative reviews about Hop on Hop Off, but not sure if they are from CitySights. How does this tour rate?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to NYC, questions

What else does the Explorer Pass include? It's not the HOHO bus that concerns me, but the pass. Often you find they make you rush from place to place that don't really interest you, just so you feel you're getting your money's worth.

List out the places you really want to see, then add together the entrance fees for each place. Then see if the pass is good value for you.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to NYC, questions

The passes don't get good press as for most people don't get good value out of it. As Kate suggests, write a list of places you want to visit. You will probably find a few of the places on your list are free to visit. Most of the things I enjoy in New York are free, not because they are free, I may add.

kentucky
Level Contributor
55 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to NYC, questions

Yes, not sure if the pass is worth it. We were only going to get three attractions that do not have to be done in one or two days, but can be spread out within our trip. We want to take a bike tour through central park and then do Empire state park, NBC studio tour and Rockefeller Tower. I think the price of three things would be around the 75 and the pass is 79. I think if we went for 6 attractions, then the price would be worth it for the discount.

I am thinking a bus tour to help us get oriented might be good, not necessarily a HOHO bus, but just a basic tour of the city. Any good tours that are budget friendly?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to NYC, questions

Free Tours by Foot is free (though you tip the guide). They do several tours including some bike tours.

www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

5. Re: Newbie to NYC, questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 07:19