We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

We are returning on a transatlantic cruise to the US and docking in Brooklyn. We need to get into midtown Manhattan to get home. The ship is scheduled to dock at 7:15AM (Emerald Princess).

Questions: How accurate is that docking time?

How long does it typically take to disembark and get through customs there?

How far is it from W.34th St. in Manhattan in terms of time and cost in a taxi?

Are there usually plenty of taxis available for the passengers?

I am hoping to connect on a 10:20am bus and am wondering if that is realistic?

Thanks for your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,192 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

My understanding from reading other similar posts is that you're unlikely to be guaranteed to be off the boat by 10:20, let alone on a bus. If you're in an early disembarking group, then yes, but if you're not, then no.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

You will need to call a car service(not sure if yellow taxis are waiting at that location.) There are definitely around, but with a ship coming in, you could spend some time before you get one.

-What day of the week are you arriving?

-How accurate is that docking time? Who knows. Depends on your specific cruise-if there are delays, weather, etc.

-It's really not that long of a ride from the terminal to 34th Street. Of course, this depends on traffic. Roughly a half of an hour(depending on where you are going.) Look to pay appr $30 with a local car service.

-Re a 10:20 bus.....I think that is aggressive/impossible. I would look to schedule a later one so that you have no issues. Where are you catching the bus on 34th St?

You can have delays in docking/customs delays/weather delays/etc.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 18:51
Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

Thank you so much. I had seen earlier posts but they were several years old and I was not sure how accurate they might be. I appreciate your advice.

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
136 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

We are scheduled to arrive on a Thursday morning. We are headed back to MD.

Thank you.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

From where on 34th Street?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

You should check with the cruise line as to whether you can get priority disembarking. Sometimes you can get this if you have a tight connection (as you do) after completing your cruise.

Burleigh Heads...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

I am arriving on the same cruise and have been researching this same problem of how to get to Varick Street. I have researched numerous sites and most advise that car hire or taxi is the only real option. Princess only offers transfers to the airports, and most shuttle services only go to airports also. Some have suggested that buses will be available when the liner arrives, but there is no detail to be able to confirm that. Subject to weather, some have suggested getting to the Ikea centre and catching the ferry/water taxi to Wall Street. It is such a shame that a major cruise terminal doesn't provide better transport options.

I have also been reading the comments on the "Why do NYC visitors not read posts before asking ?'s" today, and was disappointed by some of the negativity from some of the contributors. Doesn't reflect well on some of the respondents.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

If you take a taxi the driver will probably want to go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. You'll be charged the toll for this in addition to the normal fare based on time and distance. If it's a regular yellow cab they're required to use an EZ pass. The EZ pass toll is $5.33.

If you get a car service they're not required to do this, so they may want to charge you the cash toll, which is $7.50.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

According to their web page, there are taxis available at the terminal. Just take a taxi the 8 miles. It is not anywhere near a subway, it turns out, unless you want to walk a mile or two.

Where are you headed in Maryland? If you bought a Megabus or Boltbus Ticket, you might want to make it an hour or two later. If it's Greyhound, is it for a reserved time? Are you taking a bus right to Elkton or to White Marsh or Baltimore?

Megabus, for example, leaves from 34 St. between 11th and 12th Avenues, if I remember right, which, because it is so close to the West Side "Highway" (really 12th Avenue), it saves you 10 minutes by being there.

You might be off the boat by 9:00, then the taxi gets you there by 9:45 (unless there is a very long line) and you make the bus easily. If you get a 9:30 taxi, you still will probably make it.

Burleigh Heads...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on getting to Manhattan from BRKLYN terminal

Thank you for your advice. Looks like the taxi is the best option.

Maybe we will meet qhdesigner (the original poster) at the Adina Hotel in Copenhagen before the cruise. We are also booked in there the night before the cruise.